Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am applying for a spousal visa to move to France on June 25th. My fiance and I were married last week here in Los Angeles and now I am waiting for my marriage certificate to arrive so I can get started on gathering my paperwork for the livre de familie.

The LA french consulate website says its may take up to 2 months to get the livre de familie and that it must be done before the visa appt. My visa appt is July 10th and my ticket to Paris is on July 25th! Does anyone know how long it takes to receive the livre de familie? I am worried I won't receive it before my July 10th appt.

Also, for the livre de familie it says they require my birth certificate that must be translated in English or Spanish. My original birth certificate is in Russian. Do I need to provide a copy of that as well? The reason I ask is because I have the certified translation in English but not my actual birth certificate in Russian. Will that be a problem?

Ughh I am so worried I am not going to be able to get everything together before my appt, and then before I am to leave to Paris!

·
Administrator
51,944 Posts
I'm afraid you've cut it way too close. As the consulate has told you, the livret de famille will probably take a good couple of months to arrive - after you've turned in the paperwork. This is the official word from the LA consulate: Transcription d’un acte de mariage - Consulat Général de France à Los Angeles

And yes, you'll need your birth certificate (and one for your French spouse, plus his carte d'identité). Both for the livret and for your visa. I'd get two copies if that's possible. And I suspect you'll need a new translation as this is one of those things that requires a "recent" birth certificate.

Elsewhere on the page, they say that they will not accept incomplete dossiers - so if your livret de famille hasn't arrived by your appointment date, you're just wasting your time.

If you go to France on July 25th, you may need to go as a "tourist" and to be ready to return to pick up your livret de famille when it is done. Once you have the livret de famille, getting your spouse visa should only take a couple weeks at most.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts