Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I'm in a situation I would imagine others may have come across, but I am finding it very difficult to find the information I require. I am a UK citizen and my wife is non-EU. We are both resident in the Czech Republic and I have both read and been told that we can get a visa free of charge to help with her entering the UK, given that her residency should allow for that. I have read about the EEA family permit, but the thing is that we don't want to move to the UK, only be able to go and see my family. We could of course get a tourist visa, but then would we have to pay for the visa?

But on the other hand the EEA family permit seems like a massive amount of hassle and asks so many questions irrelevant to this situation. And as you may imagine trying to get any information out of the UK visa offices is impossible, especially as they have just this month implemented the system of charging £5.48 for any email correspondence with them.

Any help on this situation, would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife is from Kazakhstan. But as she has Czech Residency on the basis of my own I had assumed EEA visa. But I got conflicting information, I had thought that we needed to provide our residency papers, marriage certificate, and an application, no fees. But then the application form is incredibly long, longer than standard tourist visa, with so many extra questions that do not comply to our situation. We are not interested in settling down.

For example it asks if I live in the UK - No, have a full time job - yes, address of employer in the UK - well that contradicts the previous two answers. Very infuriating!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
EEA family permit application form is very long (80+ pages), and is a one-size-fits-all with questions to cover every conceivable situation. For those whose EEA citizen partner and applicant are both outside, as in OP's case, most questions should be answered with N/A, as they don't need to answer any financial and job questions, and EEA partner doesn't have to be exercising EU treaty right, or capable of doing so when they move to UK. But because the application has to be done online, you can't just put N/A but have to choose from drop-down menu, none of which applies to their situation. I suspect the government has done it this way to put off people applying for family permit. Only the most determined will plough through 80 pages of questions, and many will just apply for visit visa instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, so yeah it seems I am on the right track and that I just need to keep going, I mean I'm already about half way done. But man, it's so annoying. The ridiculous thing is that I can visit Kazakhstan on a visa free regime to visit my wife's family, but the same rules do not apply in the UK and are in fact much more overwhelmingly stringent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.