Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been advised i cant get to aus on a skilled migration visa, best chance is get a working holiday visa and hope an employer likes me enough to sponsor me.

Agency did advise that i could get a skilled visa in nz, and i could then work in aus?

Is this correct ?

G

·
I dont think that is true. It was my understanding that New Zeland Citizens have the right of entry to Australia but not NZ PR. If you got NZ PR, then later became a citizen you could live and work in Australia. Until you became a Citizen you would have to qualify for a visa the same way as everybody else.

Odd though because Australian PR holders do have the right to live and work in NZ! But obviously could not qualify for Aus Citizenship or RRV if living in NZ. And wouldn't be eligible for NZ until they sorted a NZ visa.

If you dont qualify a WHV might be a good idea. It allows you to get short term jobs with potential sponsors so you can show off your skills. If they like you they may then sponsor you for a 457 or PR.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry to sound thick what is pr ?

if i went down the route of a skilled visa for nz, how long would it be untill i am considered a citizen ?

if a organisation doesnt have the facility to sponsor, do you think they would accept if i offered to pay for the sponsorship and i cover the costs ? as this been done before ?

G

·
Permanent Residence

And yes I have seen lots of people post that they are paying all or a proportion of the costs to encourage the sponsor to sponsor them. Useful when the business has not sponsored before or are small so dont have lots of cash like the big international companies.

Much better chance of being sponsored when you are in the country than from overseas as you can start right away. No relocation costs. They can test you out before making a decision.

You can work for 6 months with each employer on a WHV so plenty of time for you to show them your skills or to ditch them after a month and find another who is more what you are looking for.

And if you are wiling to do it you could qualify for a second WHV if you are still under 31 and carry out regional work Working Holiday Visa (Subclass 417)

So 2 whole years to find a sponsor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what are the rough costs for sponsorship ?
as i was in direct contact with a recruiter at linkedin and he was interested in my resume. unfort the company wasnt in a position to sponsor. if i offered an alternative eg id pay the sponsorship fee if you offer me the job. i am happy to pay the costs.

i may have to the do the whv. the agency said today if i played my cards right you can effiectely work for 4years in aus/nz

But i cant find any info on this and i dont no if he pulling my leg. but i used the company you recommend ianhorrap

G

·
Employer Sponsored Permanent Visa Charges

Employer Sponsored Temporary Visa Charges

Ian Harrop is very good agent, I doubt he was pulling your leg he would give you help but wouldn't give everything away. Reason being is he is a professional agent and wants people to pay for his advice and assistance in the visa process. Dont know what he meant by 4 years, maybe he suggested doing an Australian WHV then a NZ WHV? A 457 would give you up to 4 years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ian harrop seemed very professional when i spoke to him, he advised me that aus wasnt a viable option under a skilled visa. only options are whv or get an employee to sponsor me

he passed me over to his colleague who deals with the nz visa, and he was the one who suggested i could get a skilled visa in nz and then move over to aus to work. they seem very profesional so i may go ahead with them. I am trying to work out best visa type in my current situation.

with the employer sponsored permanent visa charges i guess id pay this

Nomination (ENS only) $520
If you are outside Australia when the visa is granted $2095

then what option next

2nd instalment
For primary applicants with less than functional English
Exception: Religious workers who have applied for a subclass 121 (ENS) or a Labour Agreement visa are not required to pay this instalment. $8240

or

2nd instalment
For dependents 18 or over with less than functional English
Exception: Religious workers who have applied for a subclass 121 (ENS) or a Labour Agreement visa are not required to pay this instalment. $4110

G

·
Do you have a secondary applicant who you would be being added to your visa? If not ignore the 2nd instalment.

If you do and they hold a British passport you do not pay a second instalment. If they do not they can sit IELTS and wont have to pay it.

If you hold a British passport you are classed as having functional English so dont need to pay anything extra.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.