Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've just started working in France on a Scientist visa, and my organisation is taking care of my application for the carte de séjour. I have three questions relating to this though:

1) How long can I expect to wait before receiving my carte de séjour. The admin at my place of work have given me no indication of how long I can expect this to take.
2) I plan to travel to the UK to spend Christmas with my family. My visa is valid until the 10th of January, but I no longer have my convention d'accueil as this was taken for the carte de séjour application. Can I still travel to the UK as long as I'm back before my visa expires, even without the convention d'accueil?
3) In the event that I don't get my carte de séjour before my visa expires, am I effectively stuck here and unable to travel? I ask because I may need to travel in January for work...

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Not entirely sure what you mean by your "convention d'accueil" but if it's the CAI (contrat d'accueil et integration) you don't need it for going and coming from France. You should have received a récippissé (basically, a receipt) for your carte de séjour application. Just take that with you when you travel. It shows that you have indeed entered the country legally and are in the process of applying for your carte de séjour.

I assume that the visa in your passport has been stamped or otherwise validated. Chances are, that's all anyone will want to see while you're traveling between countries.

Getting the carte de séjour can take anywhere from "a few" weeks to three months. But if the récippissée has an expiration date, just go in to the office where your work applied for your cds a week or so before the expiration date and they'll extend it for you. (Or, sometimes, they'll just give you your carte de séjour, which may have just arrived. Sometimes they get lazy and just wait for you to come in rather than letting you know it is there.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not entirely sure what you mean by your "convention d'accueil" but if it's the CAI (contrat d'accueil et integration) you don't need it for going and coming from France.
Thanks for the info, Bev. The document I was referring to is the Protocole d'Accueil that was issued by my employer so that I could apply for the visa and the carte de séjour (the call it the convention d'accueil at my work).

One last question: If I don't get the carte de séjour before my visa expires, but I have the récepissé, can I still travel or do I need to either renew my visa or wait to get the carte de séjour first?

·
Administrator
50,421 Posts
If you don't have your carte de séjour by the time you have to travel, your récippissée functions as a "temporary" cds. Chances are, no one will ask for the cds - but if they do, just show them the récippissée. The fact of your visa expiring shouldn't matter, as long as you have applied for the cds.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.