Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am a English guy (41) with wife and Child (8) looking to start the process for visa application to Aus as a skilled Insurance Broker, at the beginning of April 2013 I made the Choice of paying an Agent $7000 to undertake my application (ASA CONSULTANTS) and yes got ripped off!!!!

Now I am totally against using an agent as I checked out ASA and their whats I now know as false credentials and obvioulsy feel aggreived but hey ho its done - troble is I do not have a clue where to start or look for my visa app or process - can anyone help.

Also first time on any forum and a bit lost.

If anyone could help, really appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Darren,

Skilled Occupation List - 1 July 2013

This is the website of Australian Government immigration staff. You can look what you need.

The general skilled immigration conditions are
-Under 50 years of age,
-Your occupation must be in the skilled occupation list (SOL)
-For English speaking nationalities you dont have to take IELTS but you will not get any extra points either. Normally the minimum requirement is 6 from the general test. For 7 you get +10 points, for 8+20. So you might want to take the exam to increase your points.
-And you must score 60 points in skill select system

Your points are calculated in many ways:
-Years of experience: over 8 years you receive the highest point.
-Higher education: bachelor or master's degree will give you extra points.
-IELTS mentioned above.
-If your partner's occupation is the SOL as well and she has to get her skill's assessed by the relevant Office. For noneng speaking countries, the partner has to score 6 in ielts.
-(Subclass 190) State sponsorhip +5 points / regional sponsorship (subclass 489) +10 points
If your occuipation is in demand in a certain state, then they you can apply for a sponsorship to that state. And you have live in that state for 2 years, its compulsory. Regional is similar but you cannot live in anywhere of the state but just certain designated areas - mostly away from the center.

Or if you find a job when you are still in England you can skip all these. But I dont know how people do this. Must be for brain surgeons, or rocket scientists or people with 3 brains god knows!

Subclass 189 is a skilled independant visa, you can go to anystate. This is the best visa I think, but takes longer to get a grant. nad you dont get any extra points like in state sponsorship.

My advice to you,
-first find if your job is in SOL.
-İf yes, find out where you can get your skills assessed, (ours took 4 months waiting and many more month for preparing before).
-Meanwhile decide which state to go.
-Then you will figüre out the rest...

Regarding the agent, I'm sorry for your bad experience. If you go to MARA website and find a MARA agent in your town, actually just in your country is enough, our agent is in another city, everything is fine. They will provide you with their certificates and permits. I doublechecked my agent like this, when I click on "Find a MARA agent in your country" all the credentials of my agent came up.

Good luck

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi I am a English guy (41) with wife and Child (8) looking to start the process for visa application to Aus as a skilled Insurance Broker, at the beginning of April 2013 I made the Choice of paying an Agent $7000 to undertake my application (ASA CONSULTANTS) and yes got ripped off!!!!

Now I am totally against using an agent as I checked out ASA and their whats I now know as false credentials and obvioulsy feel aggreived but hey ho its done - troble is I do not have a clue where to start or look for my visa app or process - can anyone help.

Also first time on any forum and a bit lost.

If anyone could help, really appreciated.

Cheers
Hey mate,

Sorry to hear about that, i was in a similar case, where the agent kinda decided to stop being an agent and left me hanging.
Anyway, for a start, did the agent do anything at all? As in make any applications in your name? If they did, there should be a record with the Immigration Department in Aussie that your application was submitted.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi Darren,

Suggest you read the thread "Thinking of emigrating" on the stickies in Australia Forum....

Did you get your assessment done through the agent (or by yourself) yet?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts