Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm looking for advice on getting a visa to come to Australia.

I graduate from a Scottish University in August with as a registered psychiatric nurse with a BSc degree. My boyfriend of five years is Australian and lives in Perth. I met him there while I was on my 2 year working holiday visa. I came back to do this degree and looking at what to do once I graduate. I understand that I require 2 years post graduate experience before I can get a visa, however I have heard that this may not be required if I go regional.

Another option is to get a visa with my partner, but I read it takes up to 21 months to process, never mind with the current COVID situation. I also read the application is extremely difficult and if there are any errors or problems, I will we to pay again for the application which is $8000.

I am 31 so to be honest, I dont want to waste any further time apart from my boyfriend. Particularly because of the current situation, as I havent seen him since February.

Has anyone recently moved? Any information or advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Kerri

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hello,

I'm looking for advice on getting a visa to come to Australia.

I graduate from a Scottish University in August with as a registered psychiatric nurse with a BSc degree. My boyfriend of five years is Australian and lives in Perth. I met him there while I was on my 2 year working holiday visa. I came back to do this degree and looking at what to do once I graduate. I understand that I require 2 years post graduate experience before I can get a visa, however I have heard that this may not be required if I go regional.

Another option is to get a visa with my partner, but I read it takes up to 21 months to process, never mind with the current COVID situation. I also read the application is extremely difficult and if there are any errors or problems, I will we to pay again for the application which is $8000.

I am 31 so to be honest, I dont want to waste any further time apart from my boyfriend. Particularly because of the current situation, as I havent seen him since February.

Has anyone recently moved? Any information or advice is very much appreciated.

Thanks
Kerri

Hello Kerri,

Have you tried registering yourself with AHPRA for your RN(Mental Health) License? I would say the best way for you to come down to Aus would be a employer sponsored visa but that can only happen if you are registered with AHPRA as a professional Nurse. Once you get registered, start applying for jobs (particularly in Perth since your partner is there). Nurses are now part of the PMSOL ( https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/employing-and-sponsoring-someone/sponsoring-workers/pmsol ). If you get an employer who is ready to sponsor you, then your Visa application will be fast tracked as per this.

I understand Partner visas are time consuming plus long processing times, but if you still decide to go for that, You wont be able to work in Aus a Nurse when you come down unless you are registered with AHPRA.

Also, if you are planning to apply for an independent visa (189/190-PR Visas, 491-Regional sponsored), you would still need your RN license from AHPRA. So, I would say go ahead and get yourself registered with AHPRA first. That will open up a lot many options for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts