Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Maybe there are people here with a similar issue. We're moving soon to SA on a visa 475 (temporary stay, State Sponsored scheme) and need to find school(s) for the kids. There's three of them :) age 8,9 and 13.

I took a look at the list of private and public schools in SA - even contacted some of them directly - but am not sure what the status of these kids is going to be. I'd appreciate if you could help. Are they going to be considered as "international students" thus pay a pretty serious tuition fee :) or they can simply join the school as an "ordinary" student? I'm not sure what status (if any) the 475 visa determines. In terms of language they should be all right having spent 3 years in an international school already where tuition was carried out in English.

So, can anyone help? I appreciate any hint, link or anything that can guide me towards finding an (affordable :) ) schooling for the 3 banditos :D

Thanks in advance, cheers,
Sandor

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You can ask the schools about fees, but I believe they will be considered 'International students'. Ordinary students would be those who have parents with PR visas. For (3) kids I believe you are looking at 20-30k AUD+ (for all (3)).

Hi,

Maybe there are people here with a similar issue. We're moving soon to SA on a visa 475 (temporary stay, State Sponsored scheme) and need to find school(s) for the kids. There's three of them :) age 8,9 and 13.

I took a look at the list of private and public schools in SA - even contacted some of them directly - but am not sure what the status of these kids is going to be. I'd appreciate if you could help. Are they going to be considered as "international students" thus pay a pretty serious tuition fee :) or they can simply join the school as an "ordinary" student? I'm not sure what status (if any) the 475 visa determines. In terms of language they should be all right having spent 3 years in an international school already where tuition was carried out in English.

So, can anyone help? I appreciate any hint, link or anything that can guide me towards finding an (affordable :) ) schooling for the 3 banditos :D

Thanks in advance, cheers,
Sandor

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you :) ... that's actually a bit scary :D.

In the meanwhile i've found a bunch of schools that'd charge less (the range is pretty wide) however it'd be good to get a first hand experience from someone who had kids and 475.

I'm really not sure how it works but are there public schools that based on the zone they are in need to deal with children from within that area? I understand private schools do charge (pretty significant :D) fees but was under the impression public schools are (somewhat) different. :confused:

So, anyone with first hand information?

Thx again,
Sandor

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Since you're on a temp visa the fees for public school will also be in the thousands. This is what happened to my friend with kids on a 457, I wouldn't expect different for a 475 visa holder.

PR visa makes a huge difference here. The public school rate drops to the ordinary student rate (a few hundred a year at most).

Each public school has a catchment area (think a box on a map) where they must make a place for the child, you need to tell them exact address (including street name) so they can see if you are in the catchment area.

Thank you :) ... that's actually a bit scary :D.

In the meanwhile i've found a bunch of schools that'd charge less (the range is pretty wide) however it'd be good to get a first hand experience from someone who had kids and 475.

I'm really not sure how it works but are there public schools that based on the zone they are in need to deal with children from within that area? I understand private schools do charge (pretty significant :D) fees but was under the impression public schools are (somewhat) different. :confused:

So, anyone with first hand information?

Thx again,
Sandor

1 - 4 of 4 Posts