Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear all,

I am from Canada and will be moving to Australia in July 2014 to start an academic faculty position in Sydney. The position is on an initial 3-year contract. The HR department in Sydney is starting out by issuing me a visa 457 (well, not they, but they are supporting it, and paying for the costs for lawyers, consultants, etc.).

I asked whether it's possible to start the permanent residency application process to both the school and consulting agency, and they both said that a 457 is much quicker and easier to get. And after I get a 457, they can start the PR process right away without waiting 2 years. But they say that to get the PR after I move to Australia, I have to get "special permission" from the school.

Is this true? I don't need to wait 2 years? Can anyone tell me the process of getting a PR with a 457? If I get my 457 in March, for instance, can I start the PR process immediately, or do I have to wait until I physically move in July?

Any advice, or links, would be greatly helpful. Thanks!

euges720

G

·
Do you qualify for a PR visa? Which one were you thinking of applying for?

You can apply when you want if you qualify and do not need permission from anyone but you will need an occupation on the sol and pass a skills assessment.

If the employer is willing to sponsor after sponsoring you for a 457 they can do so straight away if you pass a skills assessment or in 2 years if you can not or do not want to do skills assessment.

Either way you need an eligible occupation and the list for PR is different than the 457 occupation list.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If the employer is willing to sponsor after sponsoring you for a 457 they can do so straight away if you pass a skills assessment or in 2 years if you can not or do not want to do skills assessment.

Shel does that mean , if someone in IT related profession , whose skill has been certified by ACS , can get sponsored by his/her new employers , without waiting for the 2 years?

G

·
Yes so long as they are willing and you fulfil the criteria. Most employers wont sponsor new employees though. If they would they would have done that from the start instead of offering a 457.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yes so long as they are willing and you fulfil the criteria. Most employers wont sponsor new employees though. If they would they would have done that from the start instead of offering a 457.
Thanks mate that was really helpful. Would you kindly let me know which visa category it falls under and links to the same?I can take this to my prospective employer , who are suggesting that unless I stay for 2 years in their company they can't sponsor my PR as per the DIAC rules, otherwise they would've done that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, can you please clarify? My employer (a university in Sydney) is sponsoring me and paying all legal/consulting fees for the 457. I asked around why they are not sponsoring me for PR right away, they just said the wait is too long, start with 457 first.

But regarding your statement above... I am currently in Canada and will move to Australia in August 2014. Once I land there, I can apply for PR right away if I pass a skills assessment... without waiting the two years? Do I need my employer to sponsor me too (which shouldn't be a problem)?

And what's involved in a skills assessment? My job is a lecturing position, and I hold a Ph.D. I'm 30 years old.

G

·
Hi, can you please clarify? My employer (a university in Sydney) is sponsoring me and paying all legal/consulting fees for the 457. I asked around why they are not sponsoring me for PR right away, they just said the wait is too long, start with 457 first.

But regarding your statement above... I am currently in Canada and will move to Australia in August 2014. Once I land there, I can apply for PR right away if I pass a skills assessment... without waiting the two years? Do I need my employer to sponsor me too (which shouldn't be a problem)?

And what's involved in a skills assessment? My job is a lecturing position, and I hold a Ph.D. I'm 30 years old.
The reason your employer wont sponsor you now is the same reason they wont sponsor you as soon as you get there. Because they do not want to and want to get their monies worth from you for spending on your 457 before you get PR where you then under no obligation to stay with them despite them spending a lot of time and money on sponsoring you.

You can however apply for a 189 or 190 independently if you qualify. A PHD is not a qualifying criteria, you need to pass the points test and a skills assessment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But for argument's sake, let's say they WILL sponsor me when I arrive in Australia. Does this mean that once I start my job in August, if they sponsor me, I can start applying for the PR right away without waiting for two years?

And, suppose I keep with the 457 application process through the school. Can I also independently apply for the 189 or 190 concurrently?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi euges720,

the 457 visa is usually valid for 4 years. If the school is happy with you they may renew your contract after two years and sponsor you towards PR via ENS. However, it seems counter-intuitive that they would go through all the paperwork for a 457 visa now just to start the PR sponsorship process (= more paperwork and costs) as soon as you arrive ;). As your HR contact told you, you'd need to apply for "special permission" from the school to get sponsored towards PR. _shel is right: It does not sound like they are interested to sponsor you towards PR right now and I get why they wouldn't.

What you can do on your own, now or after you arrive in Australia: Apply for a point-tested skilled migration visa (189/190) if you fulfill the criteria. You do not need an employer's support for that. If you plan to stay in Australia long-term that's what I would recommend.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi euges720,

the 457 visa is usually valid for 4 years. If the school is happy with you they may renew your contract after two years and sponsor you towards PR via ENS. However, it seems counter-intuitive that they would go through all the paperwork for a 457 visa now just to start the PR sponsorship process (= more paperwork and costs) as soon as you arrive ;). As your HR contact told you, you'd need to apply for "special permission" from the school to get sponsored towards PR. _shel is right: It does not sound like they are interested to sponsor you towards PR right now and I get why they wouldn't.

What you can do on your own, now or after you arrive in Australia: Apply for a point-tested skilled migration visa (189/190) if you fulfill the criteria. You do not need an employer's support for that. If you plan to stay in Australia long-term that's what I would recommend.

Cheers,
Monika
Thanks, Monika, this is helpful information. (I'm new to Australian immigration, and I've been receiving so much conflicting advice from different sources!) But I also wanted to point out that I have a friend in Melbourne, also in an academic lecturing position there, and he was the same thing. He got his 457 first, and THEN the school sponsored him for PR, which he got within 3 months of starting his job. Maybe it's a university thing to not sponsor PR right away? But thanks. Your information is helpful!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi euges720,

getting PR can indeed take multiple months, so if they want you to start lecturing in autumn, that could definitely be a factor as well. The PR process (including skills assessment etc.) for a 189 visa took us 8 months and we were lucky that it did not take longer. That makes it very hard to plan for a prospective employer. We arrived in Sydney just after uni had started, so I had to wait until the spring term to start lecturing again. I'm only a casual academic (1-2 classes per term) but it was still annoying.

The university may also want you to sign the contract first before they sponsor you towards a permanent position ;). I'd definitely recommend to research your other options (189/190). If your employer suddenly decides not to sponsor you after all, you should have a fall-back plan.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi euges720,

getting PR can indeed take multiple months, so if they want you to start lecturing in autumn, that could definitely be a factor as well. The PR process (including skills assessment etc.) for a 189 visa took us 8 months and we were lucky that it did not take longer. That makes it very hard to plan for a prospective employer. We arrived in Sydney just after uni had started, so I had to wait until the spring term to start lecturing again. I'm only a casual academic (1-2 classes per term) but it was still annoying.

The university may also want you to sign the contract first before they sponsor you towards a permanent position ;). I'd definitely recommend to research your other options (189/190). If your employer suddenly decides not to sponsor you after all, you should have a fall-back plan.

Cheers,
Monika
Thanks again, Monika.

Oh, one other question. I can apply for a 189/190 concurrently? I asked something on a related matter to my employer's HR, and he said I can only lodge one application at a time. But if I apply for a 189/190 myself, can I have a 457 application open through the school's HR at the same time?

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Hi euges720,

it's not a good idea to have two applications pending at the same time - the grants can cancel each other in unexpected ways, depending on when you get the grants. But you should not have to worry about that because you will have get your skills assessment and IELTS first. Preparing the documentation for skills assessment plus the assessment itself can easily take three months or more. You'll need a skills assessment for the Employer Nomination Scheme as well, so I'd start preparing that straightaway. By the time you have everything ready you should (ideally) already have your 457 visa grant.

Cheers,
Monika

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also have a similar situation.

When I was offered a job, and it is a permanent position, I was given the same option. The employer will start with 457 visa and once I am there they will apply for 186 nomination. I will be on a University Lecturer scheme. This was reconfirmed by the employer and is in my contract.

However, I was advised by somebody on this forum about University Lecturer not being on the SOL. This means that I can't apply for PR unless I spend 2 years in AUS. So, my confusion got larger.

My 457 nomination/sponsorship was approved on the 7th Nov >>>>> On 10 Nov I lodged my e457 application >>>>> Medicals done on the 12th Nov.

So far, nothing from the DIBP. Any idea when a case officer will be assigned?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts