Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance for your help. I have a question regarding my Visa situation.

Background:

Originally from France I moved in Australia, 1.5y ago under a 457 Visa. The visa was issued for 18 month only as my company had less than 1 year of existence in Australia when I moved here.

An immigration agent has lodged an application for a new 457 Visa (2 years) and in parallel has lodged an application for a 186 Visa. I'm currently in Bridging A until I get the response for my new 457.

The problem

I had a couple of interviews with a new company who is starting his business in Australia (they've just created the entity).It's looking good but I want to make sure if it's legal for me to move from my current employer while my PR 186 is lodged.

Can I actually change or do I have to wait for a response from the immigration department first? What is the risk and the process if it's possible for me to move?

Thank you

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I'd suggest you check with your migration agent as there are some situations where you cannot apply for a visa while in Australia on a Bridging Visa and I'm not sure if the 457 or 186 fits this situation.

However you may want to also consider the viewpoint of DIBP - in your current 186 application you have indicated your commitment to remain with your current employer for 2 years following the visa grant and they will also see that you've lodged applications with a new employer. Based on the new applications, you obviously don't plan to maintain the commitment to your current employer as indicated in your current application.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts