Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, 25 November, is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. At our son's school, all the children had to wear a white top. It was a nice touch, I thought.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Today, 25 November, is the International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women. At our son's school, all the children had to wear a white top. It was a nice touch, I thought.
Thanks for posting this. We had, in Cadiz, several protest marches against 'Violencia en general', along with a theatre performance by a group of women from Arcos de la Frontera. All of that was followed by an incredible concert performed by the phenomenal Merche Corisco (one of the best female Jazz/Rock singers I've heard, whilst in Spain) and Celu - the local 'Bluesman'..! They sang and played songs whose themes were pertinent to the 'Anti-Violence' agenda - so, in all, an unforgettable day, in which the artistes concerned all gave their time and talents free of charge..!

Saludos,
GC.

Reactions: Alcalaina

·
Registered
15,738 Posts
Thanks for posting this. We had, in Cadiz, several protest marches against 'Violencia en general', along with a theatre performance by a group of women from Arcos de la Frontera. All of that was followed by an incredible concert performed by the phenomenal Merche Corisco (one of the best female Jazz/Rock singers I've heard, whilst in Spain) and Celu - the local 'Bluesman'..! They sang and played songs whose themes were pertinent to the 'Anti-Violence' agenda - so, in all, an unforgettable day, in which the artistes concerned all gave their time and talents free of charge..!

Saludos,
GC.
Saw some of it on TV. Wish I could have been there!

Spain's first equality minister, Bibiana Aido, is from our village. She was in Zappy's government and set up a lot of the public education programmes and anti-violence measures, like the toll-free help line which doesn't show up on your phone bill. Sadly her name was not mentioned when the PP health minister Ana Mato was giving her speech Monday night about how far Spain has progressed in the fight against machismo.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Saw some of it on TV. Wish I could have been there!

Spain's first equality minister, Bibiana Aido, is from our village. She was in Zappy's government and set up a lot of the public education programmes and anti-violence measures, like the toll-free help line which doesn't show up on your phone bill. Sadly her name was not mentioned when the PP health minister Ana Mato was giving her speech Monday night about how far Spain has progressed in the fight against machismo.
HI - so, no surprise there, then..! I was involved in a discussion with Spanish friends, both male and female, last night. They were united in their opinion that Spain remains a deeply chauvinistic society; sadly, they also asserted that, in their shared opinion, the younger generation is as culpable as its elders!

We'd noted a recent newspaper report which claimed that one in every three young women had been subjected to physical violence on the part of their 'novios' (boyfriends) at least on one occasion. I can't remember whether the survey results referred only to Cadiz province or to Andalucia, as a whole. Either way, it's shocking!

My own opinion of young Spanish fathers, as observed on the streets and in the cafes and bars of this city, is that they seem, in general, to be incredibly caring, demonstrative and patient with their children and babies! Certainly, as the level of unemployment has shot up, so has the number of papas to be seen pushing baby buggies (although these latter are very likely to be used to wheel strapping, stroppy, struggling, screaming toddlers around the shops...!).

Saludos,
GC

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
HI - so, no surprise there, then..! I was involved in a discussion with Spanish friends, both male and female, last night. They were united in their opinion that Spain remains a deeply chauvinistic society; sadly, they also asserted that, in their shared opinion, the younger generation is as culpable as its elders!

We'd noted a recent newspaper report which claimed that one in every three young women had been subjected to physical violence on the part of their 'novios' (boyfriends) at least on one occasion. I can't remember whether the survey results referred only to Cadiz province or to Andalucia, as a whole. Either way, it's shocking!

My own opinion of young Spanish fathers, as observed on the streets and in the cafes and bars of this city, is that they seem, in general, to be incredibly caring, demonstrative and patient with their children and babies! Certainly, as the level of unemployment has shot up, so has the number of papas to be seen pushing baby buggies (although these latter are very likely to be used to wheel strapping, stroppy, struggling, screaming toddlers around the shops...!).

Saludos,
GC
It often seems to be those who were around in Franco's era that are the more violent and that applies to both sexes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It often seems to be those who were around in Franco's era that are the more violent and that applies to both sexes.
I think you will find that the people who were around then are a bit too old to be very violent, unless you are talking about the ones who were babies or small children at the time. Franco can be blamed for many things, but this is something that is on the increase. One of the interesting things I find, is that it seems the more awareness there is about the problem, the less people take heed. This was also the case a few years back, youths were bombarded with information about safe sex and there was a notable increase in teenage pregnancies and STDs. But this matter is something parents need to address with their children seriously. It is something that is affecting people of a younger age. I guess it's because society is forcing children, who are not emotionally ready, into situations that are beyond their control as they don't know how to deal with them.
I don't like the term "violencia de género" or "violencia machista" as I think this sort of attitude foments the problem.
Here is a link to the statistics for the year.
http://www.msssi.gob.es/ssi/violenciaGenero/portalEstadistico/docs/VMortales_2013_27_11.pdf
I have been trying to find a similar chart for the UK but I can't so if anyone could post one, I'd be very grateful. A lot of foreigners seem to think it's a huge problem in Spain but I think it's more a case of it being a popular media theme and the changes to the laws. There is not enough protection for real victims and too many cases where people are being falsely accused.

·
Registered
19,394 Posts
I think you will find that the people who were around then are a bit too old to be very violent, unless you are talking about the ones who were babies or small children at the time. Franco can be blamed for many things, but this is something that is on the increase. One of the interesting things I find, is that it seems the more awareness there is about the problem, the less people take heed. This was also the case a few years back, youths were bombarded with information about safe sex and there was a notable increase in teenage pregnancies and STDs. But this matter is something parents need to address with their children seriously. It is something that is affecting people of a younger age. I guess it's because society is forcing children, who are not emotionally ready, into situations that are beyond their control as they don't know how to deal with them.
I don't like the term "violencia de género" or "violencia machista" as I think this sort of attitude foments the problem.
Here is a link to the statistics for the year.
http://www.msssi.gob.es/ssi/violenciaGenero/portalEstadistico/docs/VMortales_2013_27_11.pdf
I have been trying to find a similar chart for the UK but I can't so if anyone could post one, I'd be very grateful. A lot of foreigners seem to think it's a huge problem in Spain but I think it's more a case of it being a popular media theme and the changes to the laws. There is not enough protection for real victims and too many cases where people are being falsely accused.
Agree with a lot of what you're saying, although I'm not sure what's "wrong" about the term "violencia de género". And maybe what's "wrong" with "violencia machista" too as most of it is, isn't it?

According to this it seems it's on the rise in parts of the UK too.
This is from Thameside UK

·
Registered
15,738 Posts
Maybe it appears to be on the rise because more people are reporting it, here and in the UK?

The biggest problem with statistics is the number of women who accidentally "walked into a door". They don't report the attack, partly for fear of reprisal, partly to protect their partners, partly because they think it might be their own fault - it's an incredibly complex problem and it affects all ages and social classes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts