Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

In our quest to move to France, to work in the technology industry and actually get a decent salary. I've been told that in addition to my LinkedIn profile that I should make a Viadeo profile. Has anyone made a profile on Viadeo? Any feedback good or bad? Any other sites of this nature that you've found helpful in gaining employment (CDD or CDI)?

www viadeo com
www linkedin com

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hello,

In our quest to move to France, to work in the technology industry and actually get a decent salary. I've been told that in addition to my LinkedIn profile that I should make a Viadeo profile. Has anyone made a profile on Viadeo? Any feedback good or bad? Any other sites of this nature that you've found helpful in gaining employment (CDD or CDI)?

www viadeo com
www linkedin com

Thanks,

Jason
Sorry Jason, my husband is French and works in tech and I have never heard of that site, nor has he.

The real problem with finding a job in France in general is, unless you work in an unusual field where they have few people with your job skills, it's going to be tough going. Unless you have very extensive experience or a very sought-after set of skills in France, trying to find a job here without already established contacts (or work for an American company that has a branch in France), it is very difficult. Not to mention, most companies don't want to go through the bureaucratic nightmare and expense of hiring a foreigner (especially a non-EU one). I'm telling you this not because I want to crush your dream, but because as mentioned, my husband works in tech himself here, and we pretty much know people who are constantly looking for jobs. Which isn't a great sign for foreigners wanting to come over on a work visa. It is possible (never say never), but it's going to be a long process.

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Yes I have a profile on Viadeo. It's never actually brought me any work but I've made a few contacts and exchanged entertaining messages, but the main thing is that having a profile on these sites brings your name higher up google searches and add a bit of gravitas to your CV and candidatures.

The site that has been far and away best for me in terms of actually getting work is motamot : annuaire de + 10 500 freelances et offres de missions. You can't sign up or apply for work until you have a siret number, but I think you can see the missions that are on offer. I've applied for posted missions and got work, and I've also had people contact me out of the blue from having seen my profile on there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply! Yes we know it's going to be a very long hard road going the 'outsider - non-EU route'. Not just for work but housing, banking, moving and anything else that relates to living in a foreign country as a resident.

I work in technology (senior level) in the financial industry and deal with International trading applications. So I do have business contacts both in England and in Paris. And you're right, the easiest route would be to get hired over here with a company that has a presence in Paris.

Fortunately we started this possible move idea about 5 years ago. Its been a long road, finding websites that contain real information. Visiting France making sure that is something we want to do. Waiting on kids to move on with their life. Looking at how renting/buying a home process works. Having said all that, the hardest thing is (in a soon to come different post) is looking at "what's a reasonable salary for the work we do?" Is there an equivalent position, so on and so forth.

We know all of this is possible: From going back to school and getting a different degree, to self employed, to even saying nvm we'll wait till we retire. But we are in no hurry, time is on our side.

That all said, we know all too well the headaches behind the French bureaucratic nightmare known as paperwork.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... my husband works in tech himself here, and we pretty much know people who are constantly looking for jobs. Which isn't a great sign for foreigners wanting to come over on a work visa. It is possible (never say never), but it's going to be a long process.
Hey Julia - A small follow up on "Actually getting a job". I live in Seattle, WA considered a pretty big tech town. You'd think it would be easy to find a job but we've also known people who are constantly looking for jobs too. Even so much as leaving their chosen industry for a related one. Personally and thankfully I've not had that problem. It is always possible no matter where you live. You have to pound the payment (so to speak) and work hard at getting a job even as a resident.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts