Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear colleagues,
I am planning to assess my degrees in VETASSESS as a scientist, but I am really confused about which scientist occupation I should choose for my assessment. I had got a B.Sc. in Botany, as exactly written on my certificate, so I think assessing my qualification as a Botanist would be the best option. I obtained a Ph.D. in the field of Plant Pathology which followed by two-year postdoc work experience. Hence, I think it might be a good chance to claim more points by assessing my Ph.D. as well.

As stated on the VETASSESS website, in order to assess the Ph.D. degree, it should be followed by at least one-year highly relevant work experience. The problem with my postdoc times is that it contains works less on plant and more on microbes (fungi). Therefore, I am afraid it might not be considered as highly relevant and lose the Ph.D. points.

On the other hand, I am thinking to do assess with Life Scientist (General) alternatively as it covers several fields of biological works. But, basically, Biology isn't written on either my B.Sc. or Ph.D., so I am worried that applying under this occupation will mess everything up (three highly relevant work exp are required to assess the degree, when the field of study isn't highly relevant to the nominated occupation; Group B in VETASSESS assessment).

To sum up, I am confused to assess as Botanist or Life Scientist. The first option lets me assess my B.Sc. without question but I am not sure for the Ph.D. due to the postdoc work episodes. The second occupation is more general and covers all my qualifications and work experiences but in case VETASSESS authority looked to it as "irrelevant with my qualification", it would screw everything up. So, based on your experience with VETASSESS skill assessment, which option could be the best for my case? I look forward to hearing your precious comments and advice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dear colleagues,
I am planning to assess my degrees in VETASSESS as a scientist, but I am really confused about which scientist occupation I should choose for my assessment. I had got a B.Sc. in Botany, as exactly written on my certificate, so I think assessing my qualification as a Botanist would be the best option. I obtained a Ph.D. in the field of Plant Pathology which followed by two-year postdoc work experience. Hence, I think it might be a good chance to claim more points by assessing my Ph.D. as well.

As stated on the VETASSESS website, in order to assess the Ph.D. degree, it should be followed by at least one-year highly relevant work experience. The problem with my postdoc times is that it contains works less on plant and more on microbes (fungi). Therefore, I am afraid it might not be considered as highly relevant and lose the Ph.D. points.

On the other hand, I am thinking to do assess with Life Scientist (General) alternatively as it covers several fields of biological works. But, basically, Biology isn't written on either my B.Sc. or Ph.D., so I am worried that applying under this occupation will mess everything up (three highly relevant work exp are required to assess the degree, when the field of study isn't highly relevant to the nominated occupation; Group B in VETASSESS assessment).

To sum up, I am confused to assess as Botanist or Life Scientist. The first option lets me assess my B.Sc. without question but I am not sure for the Ph.D. due to the postdoc work episodes. The second occupation is more general and covers all my qualifications and work experiences but in case VETASSESS authority looked to it as "irrelevant with my qualification", it would screw everything up. So, based on your experience with VETASSESS skill assessment, which option could be the best for my case? I look forward to hearing your precious comments and advice.

Check the following task if they match with yours at least 50%...

*Designing and conducting experiments, making observations and measurements, researching information, analysing data, preparing or supervising the preparation of laboratory reports and scientific papers, presenting findings at scientific meetings and conferences, and supervising the work of staff
*Studying the forms and structures of bodily organs and tissues by systematic observation, dissection and microscopic examination
*Investigating the chemical structure and function of living cells and their isolated components, organs and tissues in humans, animals, plants, and micro-organisms
*Examining micro-organisms, such as bacteria, fungi, yeast and their enzymes, and using the knowledge gained to create and develop new, and improve existing, products, materials and processes
*Investigating the effects of environmental factors, such as rainfall, temperature, sunlight, soil, topography and disease, on plant growth
Planning and undertaking experiments to study, measure and understand marine animals and plants
*Studying the growth and characteristics of micro-organisms, such as bacteria, algae and fungi, and the effects they have on plants, animals and humans to develop medical, veterinary, industrial, environmental and other practical applications
*Investigating the interrelationships between animals in their natural surroundings, in captivity and in laboratories

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the following task if they match with yours at least 50%...

*Designing and conducting experiments, making observations and measurements, researching information, analysing data, preparing or supervising the preparation of laboratory reports and scientific papers, presenting findings at scientific meetings and conferences, and supervising the work of staff
*Studying the forms and structures of bodily organs and tissues by systematic observation, dissection and microscopic examination
*Investigating the chemical structure and function of living cells and their isolated components, organs and tissues in humans, animals, plants, and micro-organisms
*Examining micro-organisms, such as bacteria, fungi, yeast and their enzymes, and using the knowledge gained to create and develop new, and improve existing, products, materials and processes
*Investigating the effects of environmental factors, such as rainfall, temperature, sunlight, soil, topography and disease, on plant growth
Planning and undertaking experiments to study, measure and understand marine animals and plants
*Studying the growth and characteristics of micro-organisms, such as bacteria, algae and fungi, and the effects they have on plants, animals and humans to develop medical, veterinary, industrial, environmental and other practical applications
*Investigating the interrelationships between animals in their natural surroundings, in captivity and in laboratories
Thank you so much for your reply. Actually, these duties cover all of my episodes in my B.Sc. and Ph.D. qualifications as well as postdoc work experience. But, as a Botanist, they can fully cover my qualifications but things related to plant works aren't clearly covered in the postdoc work, you can say that some specific episodes tend to Microbiologist or Biotechnologist occupations:

234517 MICROBIOLOGIST

Studies microscopic forms of life such as bacteria, viruses and protozoa.

234514 BIOTECHNOLOGIST

Studies the anatomy, physiology and characteristics of living organisms and isolated biological molecules, and develops new materials for applying to a range of purposes.

I know that all Scientists occupations shared the same duties list, but I wonder if the core tasks for the Botanist aren't highly observable in my postdoc, what VETASSESS authorities may decide for my assessment. Will they still consider it as "highly relevant" and assess my Ph.D., or the reverse is the truth. I will be grateful to you if you give your valuable opinion in that regard.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Hi Agamy89,

My best bet will be to keep your qualification and experience consistently in one field.
It looks like you PhD is in both botany and microbiology (Plant pathology), is that right?
If so, then I would recommend you to do the life scientist general assessment instead of botanist simply because your experience has covered both botany and microbiology, 234516 and 234518, respectively.

If you choose to go with life scientist, I would suggest you use your PhD as qualification and you have your thesis summary showing it is highly relevant to life science although it is about plant.

If you go with botanist 234516, your qualification will not be an issue (either using PhD or Bsc) and I would suggest you adapt your experience in your statement a little bit- to include your work with more interaction with the plant side.

Hope this makes sense.

It is tricky however you will never know which way is better unless you try it first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Agamy89,

My best bet will be to keep your qualification and experience consistently in one field.
It looks like you PhD is in both botany and microbiology (Plant pathology), is that right?
If so, then I would recommend you to do the life scientist general assessment instead of botanist simply because your experience has covered both botany and microbiology, 234516 and 234518, respectively.

If you choose to go with life scientist, I would suggest you use your PhD as qualification and you have your thesis summary showing it is highly relevant to life science although it is about plant.

If you go with botanist 234516, your qualification will not be an issue (either using PhD or Bsc) and I would suggest you adapt your experience in your statement a little bit- to include your work with more interaction with the plant side.

Hope this makes sense.

It is tricky however you will never know which way is better unless you try it first.
Thank you so much for your valuable suggestion. You really got what I meant and what I am thinking about. Actually, I tend to your first suggestion. It will be more convenient to write everything I did in the qualification and work episodes. But, at the same time, I want to assess my B.Sc. to count my post work experience: I had worked for two years in microbiology and plant pathology related profession before approaching the Ph.D. So, without assessing my B.Sc. I may lose the points of the work experience (5 points for 3 years). I am sorry to not mention this information in the first post but there were loads to say and I had to write as concise as possible.
Actually, I had taken various subjects in Biologies during my B.Sc., such as subjects in animals, microbiology, chemistry and even Physics during my four-year education. I can demonstrate that in my B.Sc. transcripts. Just in the fourth year, most of the subjects concentrate more on plant studies and that's why, Botany was written on my B.Sc. certificate. Do you think it possible to convince the authorities being nominated on Life Scientist based on my transcripts subjects regardless of what is written on B.Sc. certificate? Your suggestion is highly appreciated in that regard.

About the second option, i.e. applying as a Botanist and adapting my work experience. I am afraid my employers won't approve it in the Statement of Service, especially the second-year postdoc as it doesn't include any work plant at all. I might be able to do it though But I am assuming the worse case happens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Agamy89,

Hope this makes sense.

I hope to not be noisy but I will be grateful to you if you give me a suggestion whenever you are available. You had gone through a similar situation and may have hints of how to convince VETASSESS authority with the qualifications you give. So, your opinion will be surely effective. If there is a vague thing in my comment and want me to clarify more, please let me know. Thanks again for your contribution.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Thank you so much for your valuable suggestion. You really got what I meant and what I am thinking about. Actually, I tend to your first suggestion. It will be more convenient to write everything I did in the qualification and work episodes. But, at the same time, I want to assess my B.Sc. to count my post work experience: I had worked for two years in microbiology and plant pathology related profession before approaching the Ph.D. So, without assessing my B.Sc. I may lose the points of the work experience (5 points for 3 years). I am sorry to not mention this information in the first post but there were loads to say and I had to write as concise as possible.
Actually, I had taken various subjects in Biologies during my B.Sc., such as subjects in animals, microbiology, chemistry and even Physics during my four-year education. I can demonstrate that in my B.Sc. transcripts. Just in the fourth year, most of the subjects concentrate more on plant studies and that's why, Botany was written on my B.Sc. certificate. Do you think it possible to convince the authorities being nominated on Life Scientist based on my transcripts subjects regardless of what is written on B.Sc. certificate? Your suggestion is highly appreciated in that regard.

About the second option, i.e. applying as a Botanist and adapting my work experience. I am afraid my employers won't approve it in the Statement of Service, especially the second-year postdoc as it doesn't include any work plant at all. I might be able to do it though But I am assuming the worse case happens.
Hi Agamy89,

I think you do have a chance here to go assessed as a life scientist using your botany Bsc. Afterall botany is a part of life science!! Do show them your transcript details.

Good Luck and tell us how you go!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Agamy89,

I think you do have a chance here to go assessed as a life scientist using your botany Bsc. Afterall botany is a part of life science!! Do show them your transcript details.

Good Luck and tell us how you go!!
Hi JennyWang,

Thank you so much for your precious advice. I will go for this option. It seems to be the best at this moment. I will let you know the updates.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there,
If I want to assess my qualification from VET ASSESS then Should I need to provide employment details? As I don't have any job experience.

·
Registered
22,839 Posts
Hi there,
If I want to assess my qualification from VET ASSESS then Should I need to provide employment details? As I don't have any job experience.
What will you do with assessment?
The chances of getting a PR without any experience is nil
Don’t waste money in getting assessment done till you have some experience

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts