Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Once again I'm having to post on here, this time rather urgently as we have 7 days to decide whether to take up the offer of work in Paris.

The work side of things sounds good but our only worry now is our children.

My husband will be working in La Défense area of the city so we are considering either living in a tiny apartment in the city, and perhaps sending our children to a local school there, or to the Italian primary school (my children are also Italian citizens).

Alternatively we are looking at areas within commuting distance, to the West of the city.

We have done some research into French schooling, and the main factor detering us from making a fixed decision now is the thought that the schooling is, for want of a better word, old school in style - very tough, selective and compartmentalist.

If someone knows of a good primary school but in particular a welcoming, warm and nurturing local primary school either in the city (15eme, 16eme, 9eme, 6eme, 1ere - really anywhere to the West of the city) or in the Western suburbs please, please, please let me know.

We have decided to do the sensible parenting thing, and decide on a neighbourhood based on the possibility of a good school!

Our children would struggle, in a tough, old fashioned environment, as much as people complain about the "dumbing down" of schooling in the UK now. They would need the nurture, especially being new and foreign. They are used to travelling but have always had the support of international schooling. This is not something we can afford realistically any more, and, moreover we would like to settle down now and integrate fully.

Also, any information on alternative schooling, although not more than 5k/child/annum, would be gratefully accepted.

I'm so terribly sorry for the excess of messages on the forum at the moment but this is the only way I think we can make up our minds as there is little other information.

:eek:

Please feel free to be biased, subjective and to send me a private message if you prefer!

Thank you so, so much in advance.

·
Administrator
49,984 Posts
As far as the public schools are concerned, they really don't vary all that much by location - as long as you're in a normally "upscale" (or "upper middle class") arrondissement or town. Although the French schools have the reputation for being decidedly "old school" the primary grades are generally more progressive, nurturing, etc. or at least to the extent they can be within the national curriculum.

Actually, you might do better to be in one of the western suburbs of Paris. These towns have long been home to anglophone expats and I would be very surprised if they didn't have all the necessary services to help newcomer foreign kids.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
157 Posts
The good thing about Paris is that you have a lot of options. You can find British, American, Montessori, Steiner, etc. You might want to look into the international programs in Sevres, one of the suburbs not far from La Defense.

If you want something alternative but French, look for Freinet schools - they are usually "sous contrat" and so very inexpensive (often a sliding scale from 0-200 euros/mo). There's one in the 3rd arrondissement that has a class for foreign children.

Here is an article that might be helpful:

Ecoles différentes pour son enfant : choisir un mode d'enseignement différent à Paris - Scolarité - Psychologie - Famille - Pratique.fr

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The good thing about Paris is that you have a lot of options. You can find British, American, Montessori, Steiner, etc. You might want to look into the international programs in Sevres, one of the suburbs not far from La Defense.

If you want something alternative but French, look for Freinet schools - they are usually "sous contrat" and so very inexpensive (often a sliding scale from 0-200 euros/mo). There's one in the 3rd arrondissement that has a class for foreign children.

Here is an article that might be helpful:

Ecoles différentes pour son enfant : choisir un mode d'enseignement différent à Paris - Scolarité - Psychologie - Famille - Pratique.fr
Wow - thanks for the recommendation. That's great! Hugely appreciated!

And Bev, thank you for your advice again - really means a lot.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Public primary schools in the arrondissements you mentionned are upscale and your kids would be ok there. Registration at you local mairie with ID of the parents.

No need to worry to be put on a waiting list in a private school where you kids might be severely appraised ab initio 9from the begining) since they do not speak the language (these schools only want highly performing kids).

second option: international schools or bilingual school. Prepare for a serious budget.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.