Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a british citizen and met my Colombian partner whilst travelling in august 2015 and we travelled together for about 10 months 6 of those months in Colombia moving around. I then left the country due to not having a colombian visa and returned 10 months later in march this year to live wih him(aplicant) in Colombia. We have now been living together for 5/6 months and got a civil partnership (marital union de hecho) here in colombia 31st august. We have also found out i am now pregnant and with this news have decided to return to the UK at some point to have the baby and stay to live for a year or so. Both of us are self employed and do not reach the income amount but have read that entry can still be given as not to go against the our human rights. Anyone experienced this side of the application? I do not want to return for 6 month without him and start working as i'll be heavily pregnant and we want him there for the child birth.
We would move in with my parents and would have there full financial support.
What are the requirements if i can show a some of money (inheritance or savings account)

If we cant apply for the spousal visa straight away what visa can he arrive on that qualifies to be switched to a spousal visa when the time comes?

We live in a very rural area on a 4 acre piece of land my partner (aplicant) owns but there is no existence of proof of cohabitance like there is in the uk, council tax/ bills. But there would be friends and family that could vouch for the 5/6 months living together and friends that could vouch for the 10 months travelled together.

What are your opinions of us applying for a spousal visa. (I have the spousal visa for here in colombia which i dont know if it helps our case)

Or are there other visas to help us get back to england and have this baby together.

Thank you so much in advance for an advice and help

·
Registered
39,105 Posts
First, your partner isn't eligible for spouse or unmarried partnership visa as you haven't lived together for 2 years (travelling together doesn't count) and his Colombian civil partnership isn't recognised in UK as you are an opposite-sex couple. So the only visa he can go for is fiancé visa, with a plan to marry in UK within 6 months. As sponsor you need to meet the financial requirement, and the fact you are pregnant won't be taken into account and won't exempt you from it. You can't ask for special consideration under human right act until the child is born. Or you marry in Colombia and he applies for spouse visa.

So your choice is limited. You either return home, work for 6 months and sponsor him for fiancé or spouse visa, or you build up savings between you amounting to £62,500 and wait 6 months, or he finds another type of visa such as study or sponsored work. Or you try to build up a life together in Colombia.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.