Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 56 year old American and have been trying to obtain a job in the UAE for the last 6 months with no success. I had one job offer in Abu Dhabi about 4 months ago only to fall through due to my age. I was told that it wouldn't be impossible to obtain a work visa but the process would be difficult. I am in great physical condition. I am seeking work in the construction industry as a Rigging Superintendent or Rigging Manager. Can someone tell me if there is a demand for someone like myself in the UAE and is it possible to get past the age issues? Thanks for any advice or tips you may give.

DB.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I cannot advise about job opportunities but is it common knowledge that the older you are, the more difficult it is to obtain a work permit. Government companies are your best bet as they would be able to get around the age issue with a bit more ease. One thing to bear in mind is that the retirement age in the UAE is 60 years old, leaving you with only 4 years of productivity, hence you may have a more uphill battle to secure a job than your younger counterparts. It is expensive to bring someone out here on a work permit and companies like to know that you have a couple of years in front of you to make their investment in you worthwhile.

Saying that, if this is what you really want, then keep trying. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When there's a will, there's a way.

As an American that lived in Dubai I can say depending on who you know, things in the UAE can either be ridiculously easy to accomplish or your worst nightmare. I'm not involved in construction but to my untrained eye, it seems that most of the top construction contracts don't go to American companies. Have you tried applying through a European company or one that is based in Europe that might send you internationally? My friend's BF does the dredging? or something for the islands in the Gulf for a Dutch Company and I know for sure they get their visas without an issue. I guess what I'm saying is try at the huge international companies with some clout because sending an American over is a HUGE investment when they can pick talent from Europe, Africa, or Asia at a fraction of the price.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.