Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I'm a binational Venezuelan-USA citizen and have lived all my life in Venezuela. I have my venezuelan law degree and speak fluid spanish-english and a moderately good french. Things are getting worse in venezuela so we (my venezuelan wife and I) are seriously thinking of leaving. The thing is that we'd both like to stay in our law professions or as close to it as possible. After practicing law as an independent litigator for 13 years it's hard to let go. So I'd like to hear recommendations of places with possible legal employment for my profile. USA isn't out of the picture, but would like to avoid it since parenting in the US is kinda crazy right now and would like to continue with a latin upbringing for our baby girl. I know US is the first choice for me since we would have no immigration hassles but can I get decent employment with my profile?? I can also accept US cities recommended.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BBCWATCHER
i'm not that obsessed with the latin upbringing per se. It's simply that you can't even scold your child anymore without getting the evil eye on public. I'm more concerned with our professional background and our ability to get good law related jobs. It is a good option though.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I imagine that your concern about not being able to discipline your child in public is not entirely valid. (There are on the other hand many valid reasons for not wanting to be a parent in the US: cost of higher education, uneven quality of public education, ridiculous parental-leave policies, armed playmates, disastrous health-care insurance, overall fatness, general lack of freedom and independence for kids due to car-centric urban geography and overblown safety fears.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes nonymous, there are those other valid reasons as well. Higher education in US gives me the chills quite frankly. But right now venezuela is a ticking time bomb and if you guys don't give me a better option I will probably end up in the US. That's exactly why I posted here. I'm looking for other options with a better quality of life. And that means a better job. Going to the US to be a paralegal isn't exactly what I have in mind. If there are better options out there I'd like to hear them.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Probably the US is the easiest. Beyond that, no idea what you could do with a Venezuelan law degree. Move to other parts of South America?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Consider the Doral area in Miami as you would feel right at home with the number of Venezuelans living in that area. Practicing law in Florida though would be an issue as you would have to pass the bar exam here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts