Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I moved to Philadelphia from Canada a few weeks ago. I bought a new car in Canada before I left and had it shipped (made it through the border with no issue and is now sitting at the border). I have all the necessary importation documents.

Pennsylvania Department of Transportation is giving me a hard time about titling/registering the vehicle. It's never been registered in Canada (brand new). I have the purchase agreement (paid in full), and a New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS). State of PA wants a Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. I've seen a copy of the certificate, and it has all the same information on it that the NVIS has. I think the DOT people are just going too much by the book - their documentation says they need an MCO. I've spoken to the dealership and Lexus Canada, and they say that the NVIS is what they provide and that it's all that's needed for registration anywhere in North America.

Does anyone have any experience importing a new car from Canada to Pennsylvania?

·
Administrator
50,464 Posts
I'm not certain by any means, but there is the possibility that the MCO may indicate which market the car was constructed for. There are some differences between the equipment requirements between the US and Canada and that may be what the DMV in Pennsylvania is looking for.

Depending on the brand of vehicle, I know they manufacture in Canada for both the US and Canadian markets. Maybe if you ask Lexus US they can help.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,

I do have a letter from Lexus saying that the car meets EPA and Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. I think that PA is concerned that it is not sufficient proof of ownership.

Lexus USA has been in contact with the dealership in Canada, but the conclusion is "that's what we have and that should be good enough."

I can't get through to Lexus Canada - their 800 # is only available in Canada - I'll try sending them an email.

Any other thoughts out there?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I meant to say I've seen a sample of what they are looking for, and it has the same information as the NVIS, but it looks quite different. There is no certificate of origin for my vehicle because it's produced for Lexus Canada and they don't have MCOs in Canada.

I'll try Lexus Canada again to see if they can help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I got through to them todaay, but they weren't any help. They said they weren't able to provide the documentation requested by the state. As far as I can tell, nobody in the US is familiar with the Canadian document (NVIS) and nobody in Canada is familiar with the US document (MCO or MSO).

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
Thanks, I got through to them todaay, but they weren't any help. They said they weren't able to provide the documentation requested by the state. As far as I can tell, nobody in the US is familiar with the Canadian document (NVIS) and nobody in Canada is familiar with the US document (MCO or MSO).
Why are you dealing with Canada instead of corporate?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A very valid point. I've also discussed with Lexus USA, and they do seem to be more helpful, but no resolution with them yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, I have the compliance letter. I have the following:
-New Vehicle Information Statement
-Purchase agreement (bill of sale)
-EPA form stamped by Homeland Security
-Motor vehicle safety form stamped by Homeland Security
-CBP 7501 Entry Summary stamped by Homeland Security
-CBP 3299 Declaration of Unaccompanied Articles stamped by Homeland Security
-Compliance letter from Lexus
-Payment receipts from the dealership
-Email from dealership saying NVIS and Bill of Sale are all I will need

I tried to everything comletely by the book. I followed the instruction on the PA DOT's import fact sheet. It says they require proof of ownership, but they don't specify what that is.

I really want to get this resolved. Anyone have any experience with brand new Canadian cars in US? PA specifically?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts