Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I visited the UK ( I live in South Africa) and purchased a camping car to tour Europe. Insurance was such a pain, most companies would not touch me even though I have a UK license and those that would wanted a fortune because I had not been resident in UK for the previous 3 years. I will be moving to France before the end of the year, how difficult/expensive is it for an average vehicle ie 1.5 litre, 5 years old, living in South of France,I have a clean license and am over 60!!:)

·
Registered
722 Posts
Jakethepeg,
Bruno Sellier's is part of the Agence Generali conglomerate based in Cognac. It's not a very big set up but the vast majority of its business is with English speaking clients. They will be able to give you, in English, the info you are seeking. They've got us good rates on everything from the house to our tractor. Tel no is 00 33.54.58.20.03.20.

Insurance web comparison sites here tend to want a registration number for a vehicle to start off with, which you probably don't have yet, and also a phone number which they then contact you on within a very short time!

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,307 Posts
Alternatively can someone suggest a website for online quotes? Many thanks
Speak with your neighbors. They will be able to guide you to just about anything you need from insurance to the best local bank branch to a plumber who'll come, more or less, when promised.

Everything is local in France. The level of service you'll receive is a function of the individuals. Your neighbors will all have a wealth of experience and likely know the individuals personally quite well.

Best of luck.

Ray

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that info. I have just read o the France Buying Guide that car insurance in France is based on the age type and value of the vehicle and is then any driver, contrary to the UK system, which will probably make it easier. I am thinking of bringing my 1972 Citroen DS 23 Pallas with me!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
We are new to France and have no driving history here. It was a problem obtaining insurance, but we found this company call AssurancePeople and they have a program just for expats like us. They count your insurance years outside of France. We ended up paying a peanut amount for our car.
I recommend driving to their office in Paris though. Their website really sucks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hello,

In a similar vain, we're planning to arrive in France early in the new year. We haven't yet purchased or rented a property and were planning the purchase a camping car. However we've been told that we need a residential address for insurance when purchasing a vehicle. Does anyone know if there is any way around this if you don't yet have a residential address?.........I now, it will be COLD!!

·
Administrator
50,434 Posts
You're also going to need a "residential" address for your first couple of months in France so that the OFII can reach you for their formalities if you're on a visa. Even if you're not on a visa (say, have EU nationality), you'll need a residential address for a number of things: to open a bank account, to get a carte de séjour (if you don't have a national i.d. card you can use in lieu of a passport for i.d.), and for various other formalities on arrival.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Administrator
50,434 Posts
It definitely needs to be an address where you can be reliably reached - normally by post. For example, where would they contact you if you got a speeding (or other) violation while out in the camper? What address would you use for receiving bills (say, mobile phone, tax bills, or other bills - whether or not they are considered a "proof of address")? There is actually a proof of address requirement for registering a vehicle, so you may be in something of a double bind there.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
140 Posts
It definitely needs to be an address where you can be reliably reached - There is actually a proof of address requirement for registering a vehicle
Thanks Bev.

We'll be staying with a friend prior to hitting the road house hunting. Would their address be sufficient?

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts