Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19,383 Posts
Vatican Issues New Guidelines For Caritas Internationalis

Something to think about when you´re deciding which charity shop to patronise. They are a little bit coy when it comes to saying exactly what effects these new rules will mean in practice. But I feel that women´s reproductive rights will be on the agenda somewhere.
Interesting!
Caritas undoubtedly does a lot of good work here, and to be fair I think they are more into helping than converting, but I, like you, prefer not to give to them as I'm not interested in endorsing their beliefs. There are lots of other NGO's (ONGs in Spanish) after all!

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Interesting. A Dutch friend of mine recently went to the local Caritas meeting as she is interested in doing voluntary work. They spent the whole meeting debating which of the families needing food parcels were the most "deserving", based mainly on their church attendance record. She was appalled by their attitude.

The Cruz Roja (Red Cross) is a secular alternative with branches right across Spain.

·
Registered
22,362 Posts
Interesting. A Dutch friend of mine recently went to the local Caritas meeting as she is interested in doing voluntary work. They spent the whole meeting debating which of the families needing food parcels were the most "deserving", based mainly on their church attendance record. She was appalled by their attitude.

The Cruz Roja (Red Cross) is a secular alternative with branches right across Spain.

Your Dutch friend is disingenuous. Caritas is a Catholic organisation. Why should they not give priority to those they see as supporting their religious views?
As for 'deserving'.....I would prefer to give priority assistance to sober, industrious people who through no fault of their own have fallen on hard times than to the feckless and intemperate, although I wouldn't leave the latter to starve.
The hope is that once people are on their feet they too can help others.
I actually think Mrs. Thatcher was right when she said that the Good Samaritan couldn't have helped anyone if he hadn't had money to give to the stranger.
I will help Caritas in our village as they do good work with poor families. If anyone started wittering on about theological issues I'd get up and go. But from what I've seen, they're too busy doing useful things, like planning a communal free lunch service.
We may disagree with the Catholic Church's attitude on some issues -I am personally not in favour of abortion but believe it is the right of the individual woman to choose and no business of the church- and I believe in abandoning the anti-contraception stance. But we live in a free society, a pluralist societywhere we must tolerate the views of those we disagree with.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts