Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Firstly thank you for taking the time out to read this. I need advice. My partner is currently in Nigeria and we will be getting married in August.
We have decided to settle in the UK. I am British and have lived her for over 30 years. About 18 months ago, I lost my job and since hen have been working for various agencies.

My question is that as none of these agency positions have lasted over 6 months and I have a period of SSP for about 6 weeks in the last year, I currently have a job that is a 5 month contract, ending in September. So I am wondering what would be the best catergory to apply with in September? Please help. I paid £100 to a lawyer that told me that I need a permanent job and to be working for a year. Please help me. Thanks Bella

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
You can apply via Category B (less than 6 months with the same employer) if you meet two criteria: a) You are employed at the time of application making the equivalent of at least £18,600 per year, and b) You have made at least £18,600 over the past twelve months (so from Sept 2016) even if it wasn't in the same job. It doesn't matter that you are on a fixed contract as long as you are employed at the time you apply.

If you don't meet these criteria, you will need to wait until you have a job meeting the minimum salary requirement. Alternatively, you could show £62,500 in cash savings between you and your husband.

Your lawyer was really off-base in their advice. Unfortunately this experience is common, and avoidable as the guidance to the financial requirement is publicly available: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...708/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

You should have a read through that document. It lists all of the various ways (and combinations) you can meet the financial requirement. There are a few others besides employment income or cash savings which may apply to you, such as income from dividends or property rentals. But you will need to meet the financial requirement in order to bring your spouse to the UK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.