Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many expats from the UK living in France it seems, a handful of Americans.
I was wondering what people know about the value of the Euro vs the British Pound vs. the American dollar. Any reputable web sources on things like purchasing power, inflation, interest rates, standard of living would be nice. My main question is whether the Euro is actually stronger and more stable and if so what criteria has been used to make that decision. I know practically no monetary currency is backed by gold anymore.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the 1920s in the US, it was possible for someone to buy a house on minimum wage. Was there ever such a reality in Europe, in France specifically?

I'm more interested in inflation and the devaluing of currency than exchange of currency between nations (sorry if my first question was vague). It may be difficult to predict the value of a nation's currency in the future but we can look at the past patterns to learn about how the nation came to the point where it is now. I think Joppa is right in citing national debt and interest rates. But you also accredit lower interests rates as signaling a weaker currency, is it really as simple as the value of investments that determines a currency's worth? Joppa, you say this does not concern us directly, but indirectly I think you mean to imply it changes a lot of the financial stability of a nation. In the end, we are heavily impacted.

Bev, it's interesting that the fluctuation of the deutschmark worked either against you or for you. In retrospect, how does the DM compare with the Euro?

I've read that a lot of banks, worldwide, base their economy on the dollar. Does this mean that if the dollar falls, their economy falls?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.