Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I am thinking about the opportunity to get a job in California (most likely around SF) and I have learned that there is thing called Valley Fever which can make people very sick. I am very outdoorsy and would be doing lots of hiking and biking around.. I am wondering if valley fever is common and if I should be worrying about it at all in case if I move there?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
5,500 cases in 2011 (mostly Fresno, Kern and Kings County).
Compared to almost 10 times more cases of Whooping Cough.
You can also worry about Lyme Disease, diseases caused by air pollution (allergies, asthma,...), tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS,...
And here you can track the daily earthquakes in San Francisco: Today's Earthquakes in San Francisco Bay Area, California
An there's this:
How you can find and see the San Andreas Fault
And this: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Dramatic-California-drought-before-and-after-5756861.php There's always something to worry about if you wish to do so. (but I wouldn't worry about Valley Fever that much ;-) ).

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
You can also be killed by lightning. NOAA publishes those statistics.

By the way, "Valley Fever" is more technically known as "acute coccidioidomycosis," a coccidioides fungal infection. That bit of knowledge might be useful if you're trying to explain what Valley Fever is to a random doctor in some random part of the world. Coccidioides fungi are found in many places, not just in the San Joaquin Valley. They're common critters throughout the Americas, but infections are rare.

Enjoy your trip (or residence).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi everyone!
I see that my question might seem strange/paranoid but I have read about it in some online newspaper and they made it sound like it is a huge issue and a lots of people get it...ugghh! I was wondering if that was a media hype.

Bellthorpe.... haha why cabin fever? :D

·
Banned
6,189 Posts
In all seriousness, and to offer some simple and sensible advice, if you have persistent flu-like symptoms, see a doctor. As hopefully you already know to do.

In the unlikely event you contract Valley Fever, Valley Fever has a good diagnostic test, is not contagious, and is highly treatable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts