Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I'm going to Valencia in a few weeks (for a short holiday) and was wondering apart from the Oceanografic what are some other things, areas, places to see and do in Valencia.

Restaurant suggestions would be awesome too!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
The Mercado Central is not to be missed, and we really enjoyed the Museo Fallero (the ninots are amazing).

Fallero Museum (Museum of Las Fallas) in Valencia, Spain

The interior of the Estación del Nord is well worth a look (fantastic art nouveau style tiled walls).

They appear to be closed for holidays until 31 August, but one place we enjoyed for lunch was the Atmosphere restaurant inside the Institut Francais (they have a lovely outdoor patio). Their menu del dia, although slightly more expensive than the norm, is really good value and the place is well used by local people which is always a good sign.

http://www.restauranteatmosphere.es/

·
Registered
427 Posts
One of the greatest pleasures I find in Valencia is simply walking the streets. I'm a firm believer that it's out on the street where a place reveals the best of itself. I attach a few photos to illustrate this. 20110116-Alleyway. barrio El Carmen. Valencia. Spain-0049.jpg

Balconies. Modernista. Valencia-1.jpg

Corpus Cristi procession.jpg

Bar Entretorres. Calle de los Caballeros. Valencia-02.jpg

Walking the dog.jpg

Street paella.jpg

Pasteleria. Valencia. Spain-.jpg

Oranges. Valencia. Spain-.jpg

downpipe 1.jpg

Once within the old city walls, just walk. Try to get lost. When I first came to Valencia I walked for 3 hrs a day, had a long lunch, a siesta, then went out in the evening to find a congenial spot to sit for a couple of hours, people-watching and writing.

My favourite spot for this is Plaza Negrito, off c/de los Caballeros. A small square filled with tables in the evening, with a fountain in the middle and served by three bars. On c/de los Caballeros is restaurant Entre Torres. For a restaurant right in the middle of this principle tourist trail from el Carmen to the cathedral square, it is very good value for lunch [menu del dia] and the meals I've had there have been good.

I reckon the exterior of the National Ceramics Museum, in the old palace of the Marques de Dos Aguas is better than the exhibts inside. Not only was I underwhelmed by the exhibits, at the time the staff posted in the rooms seemed far too numerous and seemed rather to resent our being there. That was some years ago. I expect things have improved.

The same - better exteriors than exhibits - goes for some of the buildings of the City of Arts and Sciences. To see these buildings, walk down through the Turia gardens in the old river bed. A pleasant walk [depending on the heat!] with world class modern architecture at the end.

The 32 bus from plaza Ayuntamiento will take you to Malvarosa beach. This is best during the week. You will have the whole 2km Paseo Maritimo pretty much to yourself and the restauarants will be offering menu del dia, which they do not do at the w/e.

My favourite is Bobo's, the one at the far end [if you get off at the first stop when the bus reaches the seafront]. The terminus for the 32 is at the roundabout just 150m on from Bobo's. This will take you back to the city centre.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome that some great info! Thanks chrisnation!

I also love just walking the streets, it's a good way to really discover the city!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts