Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm new to this forum after doing some searches because I am in need of some advice/help about submitting a visa for moving to the UK.

I apologize if this gets long, I'll try to keep it as brief as possible!

My situation:

My boyfriend is a UK citizen, I am a US citizen. We are not married and have been in a relationship for 2.5 years, and known each other for about 3 years. We met online, started dating, he came here for a few weeks a few months after we started dating. He had to go back to the UK to finish University so we were apart for a year, as I was working in the US as a nurse.

He came back to the US in October of 2012 and was with me in the US until June 2013, in June 2013 I went to the UK on a 6 month visitor visa and I came back at the end of November 2013 because my visa was expiring and he was waiting to start a job.

He just started his job today, Jan 6. He is making more than the 18k needed to sponsor me and we have an apartment he just moved into to be closer to work.

My question:

I need a VAF4A, correct? For unmarried partner?

Is my situation correct for that form, and if so, do I do it online?

We have looked all over the ukba site and been so confused and go in circles. The VAF4A seems to be the best option, and what we intended to fill out for some time, we were just waiting on him to start his job (Is it okay to apply based on a new job he's been at for just this week?) But I cannot find where to fill it out to submit it online.

I believe we fit all the criteria but see something every once in awhile that just makes us think...there may be a reason for refusal and we just aren't seeing it.

So sorry for how long this is, if you stuck with me, THANK YOU!

I am so frustrated and confused! Please help!

·
Registered
39,081 Posts
You can't apply as unmarried partner because you haven't cohabited continually for two years. You only have been living together for just over 1 year.
'evidence that you have been living together, in a genuine relationship that is like a marriage or civil partnership (not like a 'marriage of convenience') for 2 years or more.'
UK Border Agency | Documents required

So your choice is either to build a solid 2-year history of cohabitation (it will be difficult just using visitor status so you need to be on long-term visa like work or study) or get married.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
You don't qualify for for an unmarried partner visa. Unless you have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for 2 years with joint responsibilities including joint tenancy, joint bills and joint bank accounts you don't. Being in a long distance relationship isn't enough.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses. Not exactly what I wanted to hear lol, but yeah...a bit what we expected.

Do you think they would be lenient at all about the 2 year thing? Is that the only thing holding us back?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.