Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am applying for the unmarried partner visa from outside the UK (in the USA). I lived with my partner in the UK for two years under a student visa and a visitor visa, and both our names are on the tenancy agreement. I have returned to the USA and am staying with my parents (where I used to live) while I complete the application.

I am confused how to answer part 3 regarding my contact details. It says to provide your contact details in your 'home' country. And the guidance adds that this is "the address where you live rather than your family home".

Should I provide the address where I have been living with my partner in the UK or my current address in the USA??

Further Question 3.2 asks "How long have you lived at this address?"
If I am advised to answer my USA address then should I put that I have lived here one week (as I returned to the USA a week ago)?

Also Questions 4.11 through 4.16 asks about your 'spouse/partner' but is not applicable to applicants that are 'single'. I am confused if I should give details about my unmarried partner here or skip these questions.

Thank you in advance for any help!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
It says to provide your contact details in your 'home' country. And the guidance adds that this is "the address where you live rather than your family home".

You are applying from USA so you will need to provide the address where you live now which is your parents add. In some cases there are people who has their permanent address and a temporary address, renting an apartment temporarily etc.. but you should provide the address where you are staying Now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I will give my USA address, but should I say that I have lived there for one week (from when I arrived back in the USA) or the start date from when I used to live at that address before coming to the UK?

Also, can anyone answer my above question regarding part 4.11 through 4.16 of the application?

Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any help please???

I am hoping to submit my online application ASAP and I'm still nervous about these questions.

Thank you!!!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
How much of the visitor visa are you using to make up the two years? Because time on a visitor visa doesn't count.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We are hoping to make up 6 months with the visitors visa and need it to make it to 2 years. I'm interested to know why you think we can't use the visitor visa time? I know a few months ago they took down the guidance about being able to make it up using a visitor visa, but they haven't said anywhere that you now CAN'T use it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello!

I realise this post was made about 6 weeks ago, but thought I might add my 2 pence :)

I'm in a similar situation - I was in the UK for two years under a student visa, and now I'm in the states with my parents. My boyfriend (er, my fiancé!) and I will be getting married next month, so we're actually doing the spouse visa route.

The advice given to me was to use your home contact details, as the explanatory note says your HOME country. Furthermore, as you were there on a VISITOR'S visa most recently, you didn't technically "live" there.

As per above, re: "We are hoping to make up 6 months with the visitors visa and need it to make it to 2 years. I'm interested to know why you think we can't use the visitor visa time?"

I don't know the reason specifically, however - we went to an immigration lawyer in London first to explore all of our options. We asked the same question about using a 6 month visa to "make up the time," and I believe it's looked down upon because it's implied that you're technically abusing the system. You're not a genuine visitor if you're living there for six months to meet the 2 year requirement. If you could do that, then what's to prevent people from making four 6-month trips and just "stitching" them together? I think that's the reasoning anyway. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your input.

I applied near the end of October and a decision was made about a week later. I was granted the visa. I did use a visitors visa to meet 6 months of the two year requirement and held a joint tenancy agreement and joint finances with my partner over the entire two years. All of this information was provided in my application. Obviously there are some grey areas around whether a visitors visa counts or not, but in my case it did. This forum holds the popular opinion that the visitor visa does not count, but since the rule change I have not read anyones personal testimony on whether they were granted or denied the visa. I am grateful that I trusted my gut and went forward with the application. My guess and personal opinion is that the home office is determining whether the visitors visa counts on a case by case basis. Good luck to those in a similar situation .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.