Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello chaps, my wife (a US citizen) is applying for a spousal settlement visa and I just had a few questions to ask...

Namely as regards the proof of the relationship - how extensive should it be? What constitutes (to the minds of the UKBA) the useful information as regards skype, e-mails, photographs, etc?

Also, what exactly are the salient things to say in my letter?

Many thanks in advance...

·
Super Moderator
18,056 Posts
They want to know that you have been in touch throughout your relationship. Depending on how long you have been together, a couple of screen shots every 6 months (or 3 months if you have been together a shorter period of time) of your Skype and email contact. A selection of photos throughout your relationship including together with each other's families and at some wedding photo would be good. Tickets for trips together or to visit each other are also good.

You need to indicate that you're going to support her and check this thread for Joppa's response re what should be included in your letter:

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/br...k/281241-letter-introduction.html#post2549905

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, nyclon - that's very useful.

Also, as regards financial statements - is there a time limit on that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help so far.

The wife went in to do her biometrics - previously she had thought her application had to be sent to NYC but now she was given something that indicates she should send it to the UK, she's understandably confused - any guidance?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It needs to be sent to Sheffield in the UK.
Much appreciated, nyclon but it does seem rather confusing given the fact the UKBA border site specifically states that the submission should be sent to the UKBA located in New York - which I suspect is the cause of my wife's confusion and frustration.

·
Registered
39,067 Posts
All settlement visa applications must be sent to Sheffield. While there is some conflicting information on UKBA and WorldBridge sites, that's the correct procedure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All settlement visa applications must be sent to Sheffield. While there is some conflicting information on UKBA and WorldBridge sites, that's the correct procedure.
Many thanks again, Nyclon (from myself and the wife) - how do you know so much about this stuff when even their own websites can't seem to give a straight answer?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Just wanna share my experience with ECO, the first time we applied, they doubted that our relationship was genuine. i provided as much evidence as i could, flight itinerary for the last 5 years etc but still turned down. Second time we applied, i provided the same proofs (skype call logs/facebook wall posts/pictures and flight itineraries but the second time is with a letter explaining as to why those are the only evidence we have and they have accepted it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanna share my experience with ECO, the first time we applied, they doubted that our relationship was genuine. i provided as much evidence as i could, flight itinerary for the last 5 years etc but still turned down. Second time we applied, i provided the same proofs (skype call logs/facebook wall posts/pictures and flight itineraries but the second time is with a letter explaining as to why those are the only evidence we have and they have accepted it.
How long was the letter and what kind of format did it take?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well, each situation is different. When we had the refusal letter the first time we applied, what i did is answered all their refusal grounds in a letter with 3 pages. however one of the many refusal grounds was we did not have anough proof of relation so what i did is explained as to why in bullet points...

Example:
• I have not lived permanently with Mr. (fiance), neither longer than 2 months (I have an employment to consider) and I understand that evidences and/or proofs I provided did not suffice his first application. We are in the age of modern technology. Internet makes the world smaller, with the use of emails, social networking sites; electronic messaging systems eradicated the old practice of sending snail mails. At the early stage of our relationship, I used to call him using telephone cards, which unfortunately do not record dialled numbers. And since, I never thought that our relationship will reach this stage, I did not keep/save our chat history as all were deleted. I did not even keep the air tickets/boarding passes/ hotel confirmations of our trips to Hongkong and Macau when we went there on November 2009 and April 2010. Mr. (fiance) on the other hand kept some but Philippines being frequented by storms and floods, all his were destroyed.

>.<

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.