Registered
U.K.
9,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,061 ·
Are these figures total share of population or those elegible IE 12 and over

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Asturias has administered more doses than it has received! That is impressive, but it makes you wonder where they got them from!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Asturias has administered more doses than it has received! That is impressive, but it makes you wonder where they got them from!
Not really sure; however, the health authorities have been aggressive in capturing the statistics of Asturian residents not vaccinated in Asturias. For example, my wife and I were vaccinated in the United States. We provided our information to our primary care physician. We were then called by Sanidad in order for them to register it in their statistics. As a result, between my wife and I there were 4 doses administered to residents that were not delivered to Asturias. This could account for the 3000 dose difference.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I've read it's because they get more doses out a vial than are officially contained in the vial. So if a vial contains 5 doses, but they manage to give 6 doses from that vial, then they've given 120% of the doses received.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I've read it's because they get more doses out a vial than are officially contained in the vial. So if a vial contains 5 doses, but they manage to give 6 doses from that vial, then they've given 120% of the doses received.
Is not that medical malpractice?

·
Administrator
36,756 Posts
Not really sure; however, the health authorities have been aggressive in capturing the statistics of Asturian residents not vaccinated in Asturias. For example, my wife and I were vaccinated in the United States. We provided our information to our primary care physician. We were then called by Sanidad in order for them to register it in their statistics. As a result, between my wife and I there were 4 doses administered to residents that were not delivered to Asturias. This could account for the 3000 dose difference.
That would make complete sense!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Is not that medical malpractice?
Nope. Apparently Pfizer and Moderna were putting extra in their vials. As a result, some smart nurses figured out that if they were careful, they could get six full doses out of a vial meant for five doses.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Another factor in the Asturian statistics has been the posture of Adrian Barbón, the President of the Principality. Ever since the vaccines have come out, he has been putting great pressure on the local sanitary people to put the vaccines in arms. As a result, we have been running at 100% administration rate all along. He then uses this statistic to argue that Asturias should get more vaccines. After all, there are only two reasons why a community can be under 100%: (a) they are waiting to be administered or (b) they have been delivered but can not be administered because of holding times having been exceeded. Mr. Barbón argues that both these are legitimate reasons why Asturias should be getting more vaccines.

It´s refreshing to see a politician really care for the people he represents!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Just read in this morning’s paper that today Asturias is starting to provide Pfizer booster to nursing home residents.

·
Registered
6,068 Posts
Just read in this morning’s paper that today Asturias is starting to provide Pfizer booster to nursing home residents.
Is there a time gap from other doses? Husband (in UK) has appointment for booster next week but it says there must be a 6 month gap from first 2 vaccines of 6 months. He had his first December and second early Jan.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Is there a time gap from other doses? Husband (in UK) has appointment for booster next week but it says there must be a 6 month gap from first 2 vaccines of 6 months. He had his first December and second early Jan.
The article in today's Oviedo paper did not go into that detail. It just says that today they will start giving boosters to 13,000 nursing home residents. However, in this morning´s New York Times, it says the CDC has approved a booster for 65 and older 6 months from your second dose of Pfizer. They still have not determined anything regarding a booster for Moderna or J&J.

·
Administrator
36,756 Posts
The article in today's Oviedo paper did not go into that detail. It just says that today they will start giving boosters to 13,000 nursing home residents. However, in this morning´s New York Times, it says the CDC has approved a booster for 65 and older 6 months from your second dose of Pfizer. They still have not determined anything regarding a booster for Moderna or J&J.
Boosters have started in residencies for the elderly in the Valencia region, too.

·
Registered
15,935 Posts
Andalucia will reach 90% of over-12s this week, and most of the region will return to Level 0 on Friday - no limits on numbers, opening hours etc (though the rules on masks will not change as this is decided by the national government, not the regional one).

More importantly, there will be a return to face-to-face doctor's appointments, with telephone consultations retained for those who want them.

1061 - 1080 of 1089 Posts