Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1001 - 1020 of 1077 Posts

·
Administrator
36,717 Posts
I agree, a more meaningful figure would be the percentage of positive cases that lead to hospitalisation.
I don't know about other regions, but Valencia gives those figures.

Figures published yesterday showed +/- 2,4 % of active cases are currently in hospital, and +/- 0,2 % of active cases are in ICU which is +/- 9 % of those in hospital.

This despite a massive 4 day increase of nearly 5000 cases.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I don't know about other regions, but Valencia gives those figures.

Figures published yesterday showed +/- 2,4 % of active cases are currently in hospital, and +/- 0,2 % of active cases are in ICU which is +/- 9 % of those in hospital.

This despite a massive 4 day increase of nearly 5000 cases. View attachment 99852

Yes I guess from a layman's viewpoint ( which we all are) that has a certain positiveness to it and some countries in far east have said that is what they will publish. However, if it really was that simple why is it it that the people who actually study these things keep focussing on the rate of infections? I presume they know more than most of us and when they explain things they say that while that model was fine last year the new variant has meant that if you wait until hospitalizations and deaths are equal to back in January you will have left it too late to stop a more deadly wave. The daily infection level indicate where we will be in a month or so and is therefore very important as what matters is getting as many folk vaccinated as fast as possible so we reach the herd immunity which is when the virus is rendered far less harmful as it cant mutate as quickly as it needs to to keep active

·
Registered
762 Posts
Yes I guess from a layman's viewpoint ( which we all are) that has a certain positiveness to it and some countries in far east have said that is what they will publish. However, if it really was that simple why is it it that the people who actually study these things keep focussing on the rate of infections? I presume they know more than most of us and when they explain things they say that while that model was fine last year the new variant has meant that if you wait until hospitalizations and deaths are equal to back in January you will have left it too late to stop a more deadly wave. The daily infection level indicate where we will be in a month or so and is therefore very important as what matters is getting as many folk vaccinated as fast as possible so we reach the herd immunity which is when the virus is rendered far less harmful as it cant mutate as quickly as it needs to to keep active
But Spain has vaxxed the vast majority of the Vulnerable in its populace and beyond and from your posts you've had yours, so what exactly is the problem here?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Yes, but I personally have heard on the news that, for example Region X now has an infectiona rate of ABC per 100,000 inhabitants which is the same as in April 2020. But this is misleading because the improvement oin the situation brought about by the vaccinations is being concealed.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Went for my 2nd dose yesterday. Had to queue a bit in the sun which was unpleasant but they were dealing with alot of people and were super effecient. It must be hard work for everyone doing that daily. All in all very impressive.
Still Spain has a long way to go until they can really get some control over infection rates. Sanchez clearly doesn't want to get involved in national measures as it just gives the opposition opportunities to attack them in Congress. What we are seeing is local area using the autonomous powers to deal with things. Galicia is now bringing back TDQ and Barcelona putting restrictions on nightlife. Whether they can get through the summer is another matter as they have now raised the level to alta riesgo.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,012 ·
Absolutely... Obviously there's along way to go but I for one, didn't think this time last year almost half the population would be fully vaccinated, I even doubted there would be a vaccine. Let's celebrate the beginning of the end even though the end is still not in sight

·
Registered
630 Posts
Several reports of YEARLY shots needed going around and Pfizer seems to work better with 2 months between 1st and 2nd doses...

This is never going to end. The new normal...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Several reports of YEARLY shots needed going around and Pfizer seems to work better with 2 months between 1st and 2nd doses...

This is never going to end. The new normal...
I reckon they will bundle the covid booster in with the flu shot available to all those who need it.
Makes sense to me, this virus will just keep mutating anyway, it will fade away for a couple of years and then come back, just like most others.

·
Registered
15,917 Posts
I heard a similar report on the BBC world service. Pretty encouraging I thought, and a very good reason to have the vaccine.

New data out of Israel on the effectiveness of the Pfizer, BioNTech vaccine against the Delta variant of COVID-19. The shot is just 39% effective at preventing infection entirely, but did offer 88% protection against hospitalization and 91% against severe illness. That's according to the country's health ministry.

1001 - 1020 of 1077 Posts