Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

861 - 880 of 947 Posts

·
Registered
15,733 Posts
With regard to the mask issue, to be honest I'm so used to it now I think I will continue to wear it. Especially in shops and where there are lots of people, if I'm going for a walk up the hill or even to the beach then I will carry one.
I think masks will be here with us for some time, maybe even years.
I agree., though it does seem crazy to have to wear them on the beach or in the campo. For a while they were only mandatory indoors and if you couldn‘t guarantee a certain distance outdoors, which would seem like a good compromise for the next few months.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
I have heard from a reliable source that Madrid police are instructed to "turn a blind eye" and not fine or take any other action against bars and restaurants which do not limit the ocuupancy as per the Covid restrictions.

I believe that this kind of laissez faire attitude to control will soon be apparent with masks, at least here in Madrid.

So although I agree with you that the rules may well call for the masks to still be worn, I think that a gradual and informal reduction of their use is inevitable. The more respectful members of society will carry on wearing them for longer, but I confess myself that if in August and at 38º in the city they are still technically a requirement, but I am the only idiot still wearing one, I will probably join the revolting masses!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have heard from a reliable source that Madrid police are instructed to "turn a blind eye" and not fine or take any other action against bars and restaurants which do not limit the ocuupancy as per the Covid restrictions.

I believe that this kind of laissez faire attitude to control will soon be apparent with masks, at least here in Madrid.

So although I agree with you that the rules may well call for the masks to still be worn, I think that a gradual and informal reduction of their use is inevitable. The more respectful members of society will carry on wearing them for longer, but I confess myself that if in August and at 38º in the city they are still technically a requirement, but I am the only idiot still wearing one, I will probably join the revolting masses!
It seems from all the 'news' I have watched on Spanish TV. Madrid seems to do what it likes.

We down here in the sticks are still being stopped in the car if we are not wearing masks. The other day they were checking ITV stickers and the Policeman asked why we put our masks on only when he pulled us over. Even explaining that it was just me and the wife in the car and we live in the same house, got the response 'you should be wearing them all the time'
Our nearest bar gets a visit at 21.45 every night to ensure nobody is still drinking and they ask how far you live, to make sure you get home at 22.00 (its not just this bar either the one across the street where the Mayor drinks also gets a visit).

The local police drive around the village at 22.30 most nights (and there is no bar or restaurant here).

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #864 ·
It seems from all the 'news' I have watched on Spanish TV. Madrid seems to do what it likes.

We down here in the sticks are still being stopped in the car if we are not wearing masks. The other day they were checking ITV stickers and the Policeman asked why we put our masks on only when he pulled us over. Even explaining that it was just me and the wife in the car and we live in the same house, got the response 'you should be wearing them all the time'
Our nearest bar gets a visit at 21.45 every night to ensure nobody is still drinking and they ask how far you live, to make sure you get home at 22.00 (its not just this bar either the one across the street where the Mayor drinks also gets a visit).

The local police drive around the village at 22.30 most nights (and there is no bar or restaurant here).
Not here. We were stopped put masks on, we were asked if we lived in the same house.. so no issues. Nobody wears them in the Campo here... We have them and put them on if we pass someone but otherwise.. after all I've seen no evidence of cows or sheep passing on covid19

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
With regard to the mask issue, to be honest I'm so used to it now I think I will continue to wear it. Especially in shops and where there are lots of people, if I'm going for a walk up the hill or even to the beach then I will carry one.
I think masks will be here with us for some time, maybe even years.
I don't think I could ever get used to them, perhaps because I don;t think they are of any use. I went to vote today, inevitable queue because of spacing etc. I noticed everyone coming out whipped of their mask immediately they walked out of the door. I think there is a minority who probably go to bed in themo_O

·
Registered
35 Posts

I disagree that a person who removes their mask in an empty open space is 'disrespectful'.
In that situation they serve no practical purpose.

I accept that indoors they intuitively serve a purpose. However, I fear they will be with us oudoors until next year as they provide a constant reminder to the public. The health ministry fears that relaxing the outdoor rule would confuse the public and send the wrong signal. Obviously people cannot discriminate between indoors and outdoors.

I find it very sad and depressing when I see old people walking their dog in an empty street and they are too terrified to breathe fresh air. Last week I saw a school outing in the spring countryside, all wearing masks even though they were 'socially distanced'. What a way to treat children.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I disagree that a person who removes their mask in an empty open space is 'disrespectful'.
In that situation they serve no practical purpose.

I accept that indoors they intuitively serve a purpose. However, I fear they will be with us oudoors until next year as they provide a constant reminder to the public. The health ministry fears that relaxing the outdoor rule would confuse the public and send the wrong signal. Obviously people cannot discriminate between indoors and outdoors.

I find it very sad and depressing when I see old people walking their dog in an empty street and they are too terrified to breathe fresh air. Last week I saw a school outing in the spring countryside, all wearing masks even though they were 'socially distanced'. What a way to treat children.

How do you know they are terrified? Are yo a mind reader? Maybe they wear them because they are vulnerable and wish to try and protect themselves as much as possible

·
Registered
35 Posts
How do you know they are terrified? Are yo a mind reader? Maybe they wear them because they are vulnerable and wish to try and protect themselves as much as possible
I'm talking about empty open spaces. I read in a Spanish newspaper forum about an old gentlemen who said he'd had a bad chest for months and was desperate to breathe fresh air. But he was too frightened to remove his mask in any circumstance. That for me is terribly sad.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #869 ·
I don't think I could ever get used to them, perhaps because I don;t think they are of any use. I went to vote today, inevitable queue because of spacing etc. I noticed everyone coming out whipped of their mask immediately they walked out of the door. I think there is a minority who probably go to bed in themo_O
I'm talking about empty open spaces. I read in a Spanish newspaper forum about an old gentlemen who said he'd had a bad chest for months and was desperate to breathe fresh air. But he was too frightened to remove his mask in any circumstance. That for me is terribly sad.
To have to wear a mask outside in the fresh air away from other people is totally stupid and not good for any ones health. Indoors , public transport etc I can see the benefits at the moment, however most people don't wear them properly , they're not fitted correctly and people fiddle with them, I'm not sure how often people change them either.
I wore then for years in the operating theatre and I can't wait to get rid of them. As we become vaccinated I can see no purpose in them unless it's personal preference. I know .people who say they will continue to wear them when traveling on public transport as they're convinced that they had less colds etc through the winter months.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I have seen lots of people walking around with their nose hanging out of masks. I am also mesmerised watching journalists, politicians etc who keep adjusting them as they slip down below their nose. Everyone seems to be touching them all the time. They are ok until you talk and then they slip.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I really hope that the news in the guardian isn't as big as the paper makes out. The claim that the Indian variant is emerging in clusters in parts of the UK and that it the information is being withheld from release in case it affects the various elections!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I really hope that the news in the guardian isn't as big as the paper makes out. The claim that the Indian variant is emerging in clusters in parts of the UK and that it the information is being withheld from release in case it affects the various elections!
Guardian getting its excuses in early for Labour losing Hartlepool

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #873 ·
Maybe that should go in the conspiracy thread. We had the Indian variant in Extremadura. I suspect it's everywhere just like the Kent , south African etc etc. There will always be variants. I fail to understand how a variant being announced is going to deter voters from voting how they want or actually going to the polls.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Maybe that should go in the conspiracy thread. We had the Indian variant in Extremadura. I suspect it's everywhere just like the Kent , south African etc etc. There will always be variants. I fail to understand how a variant being announced is going to deter voters from voting how they want or actually going to the polls.
Here is the article: just because it doesn't fit your view of things doesn't make it a conspiracy theory. Read it

·
Registered
423 Posts
Here is the article: just because it doesn't fit your view of things doesn't make it a conspiracy theory. Read it
Hopefully not a precursor to more restrictions instead of the easing of......didn't like the sound of "It highlights the fundamental weakness of the red list travel system in that we just don’t know where the next dangerous variant is coming from. This should prompt a complete overhaul of our travel policy for the summer.”

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Why would it affect the elections. Are people going to change allegiances because another B version is around ffs.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts

Everybody I see in the streets in Madrid is wearing a mask, and the police have been everywhere in my barrio since we've been prohibited from leaving it for a month now. A friend of mine has just come back from spending several weeks in Lisbon and he estimated only about 30% of the people there wore masks outside. Also the bars in our area close at curfew time. Even f the police are turning a blind eye, nobody seems to be risking it.

I've noticed plenty of bars have been allowed to extend their terrazas into the street by taking up a few parking spaces, so they can increase capacity. OK it means less parking, but maybe it's not needed with so many people working from home. I guess it compensates for them having to close early.

Overall I get the impression the Spànish have adhered to the rules, so I think they need to be congratulated.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Everybody I see in the streets in Madrid is wearing a mask, and the police have been everywhere in my barrio since we've been prohibited from leaving it for a month now. A friend of mine has just come back from spending several weeks in Lisbon and he estimated only about 30% of the people there wore masks outside. Also the bars in our area close at curfew time. Even f the police are turning a blind eye, nobody seems to be risking it.

I've noticed plenty of bars have been allowed to extend their terrazas into the street by taking up a few parking spaces, so they can increase capacity. OK it means less parking, but maybe it's not needed with so many people working from home. I guess it compensates for them having to close early.

Overall I get the impression the Spànish have adhered to the rules, so I think they need to be congratulated.
I have the doubtful privilege of working in barrio Salamanca and I can assure you that you don't have to look hard to see someone without a mask, or maybe just wearing it "symbolically". Most have a good "excuse" though, talking on the phone or smoking. Yesterday I saw a guy park his car in the street, get out and walk about 300m before reaching into his pocket to get his mask. It is a minority and a small one at that, but the sensation is one of just doing the minimum to more or less comply. The police are happy with that and think that this trend will continue and expand until very few people wear one outdoors.
In Casa de Campo however nobody wears a mask! They are all doing sport of course!

861 - 880 of 947 Posts