Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

821 - 840 of 947 Posts

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
So I guess it depends on where you get it. I have heard some saying its 3 weeks others saying 12. I hope I am fully vaxed by end of June as I dont want to hang around all summer waiting for second dose. I guess everything is still in a state of flux so who knows!
In my area it has been 3 weeks for those who had the Pfizer vaccine, 4 weeks for Moderna and 12 weeks for Astra Zeneca. Were you not given your appointment for the second dose when you had your first one?

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
I see one of the options on the table as to what to do about those key workers under 60 who have had a first dose of AZ is not to give them a second dose at all, of any vaccine. But wouldn't that mean those people would never count as fully vaccinated and they would not, therefore, be able to access the "vaccine passports" if and when they are introduced?

I have to say, if I were one of those workers I would be livid with the Spanish Government and health authorities today, in the situation they have been left in.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #824 ·
In my area it has been 3 weeks for those who had the Pfizer vaccine, 4 weeks for Moderna and 12 weeks for Astra Zeneca. Were you not given your appointment for the second dose when you had your first one?
Same here

No. Not given a date. Told they would SMS second date when it was decided
I'd find that unsettling TBH. I

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #825 ·
I see one of the options on the table as to what to do about those key workers under 60 who have had a first dose of AZ is not to give them a second dose at all, of any vaccine. But wouldn't that mean those people would never count as fully vaccinated and they would not, therefore, be able to access the "vaccine passports" if and when they are introduced?

I have to say, if I were one of those workers I would be livid with the Spanish Government and health authorities today, in the situation they have been left in.
I've seen that mooted in the UK. The theory being, they.mighr not get a second dose but they'd receive a booster in the winter ?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Anyone know what the time period for over 60 group who had AZ for their 2nd dose. I know that today the under 60 group is being delay by a month but what about the 60 plus? How long do they need to wait?
I'm 61 and got the first AZ dose two weeks ago. I was given an appointment for 12 weeks later (8 July) for the second dose. I'm in Seville.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
This happened to my mother-in-law (who is Spanish, here in Seville). She got the Pfizer vaccine so she was due the second dose 3 weeks later. She was very nervous because she hadn't been given an appointment for the second dose, but the day before the 3 weeks were up she received an SMS with her appointment - for the next day, at exactly the 3 week mark. It was very unsettling for her to be left hanging and wondering if she'd been forgotten for the second dose, but they did in fact come through for her.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My FIL at 82 has been told he has to wait until the single dose vaccines arrive as he is in an 'at risk' group. The same for a friend of ours who is 70.
This is in Polop, however both of their partners who are younger but without health issues have had the first doses in Benidorm.

We are private but have contacted the local health centre and have been told they will get round to us at some point.
Im not that bothered as there are no active cases in our area anyway and less than 10 in most of the surrounding towns.

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Same here in Madrid for my second dose. Meanwhile my daughter and husband, both teachers and both supposedly "essential workers" have still not been given the first dosis. It has to be said that my husband first was passed over because of problems with the age + AstraZeneca, then was passed over because the SMS never arrived and finally has been told repeatedly over a month that he will be called,but hasn't . My daughter was due to be vaccinated when they stopped AstraZeneca for the first time and has not been called since despite 3 or 4 follow up calls by her school...

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #833 ·
Maybe so, but as I asked,where would that leave them with regard to a "vaccine passport"?

Not sure but I've also read that there's equally possibly that one vaccine might be sufficient for travel . and that travel is not dependent on both vaccines but PCR tests.. maybe that'll be their only choice?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Same here in Madrid for my second dose. Meanwhile my daughter and husband, both teachers and both supposedly "essential workers" have still not been given the first dosis. It has to be said that my husband first was passed over because of problems with the age + AstraZeneca, then was passed over because the SMS never arrived and finally has been told repeatedly over a month that he will be called,but hasn't . My daughter was due to be vaccinated when they stopped AstraZeneca for the first time and has not been called since despite 3 or 4 follow up calls by her school...
I was given an expected date for my second dose, when I received the first dose. Although I only received the appointment for the first dose 48 hours in advance. I think it's quite hard to generalise though. It might depend on the hospital or health centre that is administering the vaccine.

Also all the teachers at my kids' school were vaccinated before Easter. They appeared to be towards the front of the queue.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I was given an expected date for my second dose, when I received the first dose. Although I only received the appointment for the first dose 48 hours in advance.
Same here for both of us, appt for 2nd dose in the first SMS.

Spain have tried to stick to the vaccine manufacturers recommendations for second doses which is why it appears they are behind some others in actual numbers vaccinated.

UK seem fixated on getting a first dose in and a second as and when making the numbers look more impressive, appearances are all that matter to BoJo and Handcock.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Same here for both of us, appt for 2nd dose in the first SMS.

Spain have tried to stick to the vaccine manufacturers recommendations for second doses which is why it appears they are behind some others in actual numbers vaccinated.

UK seem fixated on getting a first dose in and a second as and when making the numbers look more impressive, appearances are all that matter to BoJo and Handcock.
I'm pretty sure it was Blair who first publicly suggested delaying the second dose. The idea being it's better to have say half the population with 60% immunity rather than a quarter of the population with 90% immunity. I think it's a reasonable approach that seems to have worked, although it's too early to tell for sure.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Uk strategy does seem to be working. Compare the deaths and hospital admissions with the rest of Europe. UK has vaccinated nearly 15 million 2 nd doses too. More than some have managed for the first.
I read a while back that even after just one dose, those who do catch covid are very unlikely to be hospitalised by it, and that seems to be what's happened in the UK. I think France chose not to delay the second dose and, given the situation with their ICUs, might start to wonder if it made the right choice.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #839 ·
Uk strategy does seem to be working. Compare the deaths and hospital admissions with the rest of Europe. UK has vaccinated nearly 15 million 2 nd doses too. More than some have managed for the first.
I read a while back that even after just one dose, those who do catch covid are very unlikely to be hospitalised by it, and that seems to be what's happened in the UK. I think France chose not to delay the second dose and, given the situation with their ICUs, might start to wonder if it made the right choice.
Exactly this. Because of the efficacy of the first dose... The odds of you ending up in hospital with a serious illness is reduced and let's be honest all restrictions everywhere in the UK and in the EU were all about stopping hospitals from being overwhelmed. The UK also started earlier than others BUT equally it made huge mistakes and has found itself with one of the highest death tolls.
Time will tell who was correct but as it stands now..the UK has definitely reduced ICU patients, deaths etc. I'm unsure of the r rate as obviously people can still catch and spread it.
I'm much happier with Spain's roll out now, more than I was, even eight weeks ago. France, from what I've seen is in dire straits...have no idea what they're up to I understand Germany not in such a great place either? There is no doubt the UK will have vaccinated a major proportion of its population long before the rest, in many regions they're also now calling in those in their 20s, but it's still very postcode related and I've friends in their 50s still waiting and a friend in Wales was waiting for second AZ 14 weeks past first due to insufficient vaccine deliveries. I suspect those scenarios will be playing out in most countries in the world.
However, I do hate forum pissing contests, and I don't care who had done what statistically..I just want jabs in arms, in whatever country, so that children can play freely without masks, the elderly can see loved ones, that families can get to work and put food on the table and that various industries can function fully again to add to the economic.well being of all countries.

821 - 840 of 947 Posts