Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if any of you can help me? Two questions actually: approx. how much for heat and electricity per mo. (in the winter months) for a small one bedroom apt.in Paris. There's only me and my pooch.
Also I've been looking for apts online and have come across a coin kitchen? Sorry but coming from Canada, I've never heard of that and I can only make an uneducated guess! What is it and how does it work?
Thanks,
Edie

·
Registered
184 Posts
"Coin" means corner. It basically means a tiny kitchenette in a corner.

I share a 37m2 apartment in Paris with my boyfriend. Everything is electric, including heating, and we've got relatively crappy insulation. The electricity bill comes every two months, but to give you an idea we paid 108€ last March and 106€ last January.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info dreamoutloud. I never would have dreamt(no pun intended) of that answer. I thought maybe you put coins in a meter or something.
And was pleasantly surprised cause I pay roughly the same amount in electric & heating bills right now.
Thanks too for dragging out your old bills to answer my post! I'm trying to figure out a budget for when I move next fall. You friendly folks on here are the best.
Cheers, Edie

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
French rental vocab is a language unto itself. I recommend reading over a vocab list before you start seriously apartment hunting so you know what you're reading about.
Do you think It is worth hiring an agent IYO? my vocab is not that great yet although I'm scrabbling to learn as much as possible before next fall. My community has a large Francophone base here although I've been told that Parisian French is much different than Québécois. At any rate thanks for your help.

·
Registered
184 Posts
As far as I'm aware, you can't hire an agent to look an apartment for you (at least not within normal person in Paris price range). There are agencies, but all they do is collect ads from owners, take you to visit the apartment that you contact them about, and act as an intermediary between you and the owner for the paperwork. It's still up to you to find the apartment, contact them for a visit, and put your application together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.