Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I made it to France! And now I have a bunch of utility bills to sort out.

I sent the water company a copy of our bank's RIB, being told that they would take it from there, but they're continuing to send bills requesting payment, with many terms I don't understand (and what seems like unusually high Euro amounts next to them).

The biggest amount is for something called LMCU. I don't know what that is at all. The dates suggest its for the water usage, but it's not, since the actual "consommation de l'eau" is higher on the bill.

What is a LMCU, why is it so much (more than the actual water consumption charge), and, most importantly, how do I get this bill actually paid?

Next, electric bill...

The bill's still in the name of the previous occupant. How do I get it changed over?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Help - don't like to see unanswered posts - re water - do you live around Lille?

How much is the bill for?

To pay the bill there should be a little tear-off part which you sign and date, and send off with a RIB, or with a cheque.

For electricity you need to phone EdF and give them your details, together with the date you bought the house. If your French isn't up to it then ask a neighbour or the previous owner to phone on your behalf.

Alternatively, the EdF website is also available in English - you can send them a message in English - I presume they will answer in English.

·
Administrator
50,384 Posts
LMCU stands for Lille Métropole Communauté urbaine - which seems to be the regional council that does, indeed, include Roubaix. Information on water service in LMCU is here: LMCU > Eau et assainissement though it's all in French.

For the edf bill (assuming it's edf - you have the right these days to alternative electricity providers), try the website, though I note the part where you can check your bill is only available in French.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already sent a RIB to the water company last month with the tear-off part of the bill, but they sent a new bill this month anyway. Do I need to send a new RIB every month?

The electric company is EDF, and I did check the website, but I couldn't find anyplace to check the bill or send an e-mail. I'll check again.

Thank you!

·
Registered
664 Posts
This link should take you to the English language page for writing a message to EdF - not directly checking the bill or sending an email - but it should work.

Contact Form

To check your bill online you'll have to register with your customer details. On the French version home page click on Particuliers then on Espace Client - or just use this direct link to sign up

EDF Bleu Ciel

Re water - maybe safer to send a RIB with each payment slip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem with the water bill is that they sent the new bill without any indication that they received the previous RIB. The bill was for the entire time my wife and I have been living here, rather than just for this month. Does it just take a while for that RIB to be acknowledged, or do I have to send multiple RIBs until they finally notice it? (I'd have to get a stack of new RIB from the bank, since that was the last one - and I'm not sure how to ask for one. "Donez-moi des RIBs, s'il vous plaît?")

For electricity, I'll give that page a try.

Thank you again. I'm apparently bad at this :D

·
Registered
664 Posts
At least we're moving forward with EdF.

Re water - which bank are you with? You should be able to download RIBs from the website, or print one from a distributeur de billets.

If not - pop into your bank and say "j'ai besoin de plusieurs RIBs". Keep one spare for making photocopies.

The LMCU website is in French but again there is the possibility to send them a message in English with this link.

LMCU > Welcome

Ian

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I made it to France! And now I have a bunch of utility bills to sort out.

I sent the water company a copy of our bank's RIB, being told that they would take it from there, but they're continuing to send bills requesting payment, with many terms I don't understand (and what seems like unusually high Euro amounts next to them).

The biggest amount is for something called LMCU. I don't know what that is at all. The dates suggest its for the water usage, but it's not, since the actual "consommation de l'eau" is higher on the bill.

What is a LMCU, why is it so much (more than the actual water consumption charge), and, most importantly, how do I get this bill actually paid?

Next, electric bill...

The bill's still in the name of the previous occupant. How do I get it changed over?

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Did you try to talk to your realtor?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I don't have a realtor. The building is owned by a private individual.

Is it normal for a RIB to take a while to be processed?

Another issue: a topic on this forum (specifically, the Water Charges in Rental Apartments topic - I'd link to it, but I'm not allowed to post links yet, not even links to other posts on this forum) says that 230 Euros per year of water is extremely high, but the bill I have here is nearly 270 Euros for four months, for a one-bedroom one-bathroom apartment with no dishwasher or washing machine. Can that possibly be right? If not, who should I ask about it?

Finally, the Electric Company hasn't replied to my message from last week. Should I send another message, or would that be considered pestering them?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Me again - there is no processing of the RIB - it is just a bit of paper with your bank account details - but again the payment should be processed in a matter of days.

I don't think it is a problem contacting EDF again - you just need to be polite and express your desire to settle the bill as quickly as possible.

Your water bill does seem to be more than excessive - I pay about 150€ per year for a 3 bedroom house - talk to other people in the block of flats. If no-one speaks English just show them the bill and make a "is this true" gesture - they will be helpful. Ask to compare yours with theirs. There must be someone around who speaks English.

Here is the 2008 water price quoted on the LMCU website - Le prix de l’eau en 2008 est de 3,29 €/m³. Lets say in 2010 4€/m3 - you really need to do something - is their a leak?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.