Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Can anyone advise me on the normal procedure with routine utilities bills and community charge bills for tenants in a long term rental situation? ie do these come directly to the tenant via post on a monthly / bi-monthly basis? Would we have to set up standing orders with a bank for community charge? Or does the property owner present these bills to the tenant on a regular basis? (We're considering a long term rental and I'm just curious as to how these things are handled).

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Hi All

Can anyone advise me on the normal procedure with routine utilities bills and community charge bills for tenants in a long term rental situation? ie do these come directly to the tenant via post on a monthly / bi-monthly basis? Would we have to set up standing orders with a bank for community charge? Or does the property owner present these bills to the tenant on a regular basis? (We're considering a long term rental and I'm just curious as to how these things are handled).

Thanks in advance.
it depends....

I've rented various properties in the past 12 years. The only constant is that utilities such as gas, electricity & water have always remained in the owner's name & as tenant I set up my own contract for phone & internet

some have brought the bills round & I've paid them cash - in others (like now) I've had the utilities set up to be taken from my bank account, but the once a year 'basura' I paid when presented with the bill

in our very early days here, the house was looked after by a managing company which 'read the meters' & produced their own bills

we had no idea that this wasn't the usual way of things, but after a while we discovered that they were charging us MUCH more per unit than the actual utility companies

we moved at the earliest opportunity........

1 - 2 of 2 Posts