Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my list of things to sell or take, I have to decide on 3 nice table lamps. These are regular table lamps that take a typical 60W light bulb. From my research online, I have learned "Using a US made lamp in Europe wouldn't have any overloading issues if a local bulb is used." Others point out that rewiring the lamp (by a local French electrician or other) would be recommended since "the higher voltage could be enough to short the insulation inside the cord, which (if a U.S. cord) may not have been designed to handle it."

Can anyone share their experiences? I'm talking about plain, single socket table lamps (not floor standing, halogen filament-type lamps).

·
Registered
20 Posts
In my opinion, the lamps will work fine with a properly rated (voltage) bulb. That is, as long as the lamp does not use any kind of electronic circuitry (like a dimmer with a fuse). Most of the US lamp cords are rated for voltages over 220--usually up to about 300 volts, I think. When we moved to France I simply changed the plugs on the lamps we wanted to keep. Your local Bricolage will sell the parts you need. Check the voltage rating on the cords if you want to be sure.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
In my list of things to sell or take, I have to decide on 3 nice table lamps. These are regular table lamps that take a typical 60W light bulb. From my research online, I have learned "Using a US made lamp in Europe wouldn't have any overloading issues if a local bulb is used." Others point out that rewiring the lamp (by a local French electrician or other) would be recommended since "the higher voltage could be enough to short the insulation inside the cord, which (if a U.S. cord) may not have been designed to handle it."

Can anyone share their experiences? I'm talking about plain, single socket table lamps (not floor standing, halogen filament-type lamps).
I've used American incandescent lamps in Europe for 22 years. All you need is a European plug adapter and a European light bulb. Never had any problems. You're correct about the halogens. Leave them if you have any.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Same experience as the others. Using three US lamps with French light bulbs. My husband changed out the plugs with stuff he bought at the hardware store. No problems with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
US bulbs use a 1 inch base. From what I can see, Euro bulbs use a 27mm base which is a little too large.

I agree that rewiring is the best plan -- get a local plug, wire, and socket.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
US bulbs use a 1 inch base. From what I can see, Euro bulbs use a 27mm base which is a little too large.

I agree that rewiring is the best plan -- get a local plug, wire, and socket.
Not quite. US bulbs and most European use the E27 (Edison Screw 27mm) base - and they are interchangeable with the usual caveats about dimmers etc. UK bulbs (historically) and some European used the B22 (bayonet 22mm) base - both fittings and bulbs are readily available in most big supermarkets and hardware stores. You may also find some small ES bases, candleabra bulbs in the US. The difference (if its important) is that the shade fittings are very different. In the US they use a "harp" fitting whereas in Europe the shade mounts to the bulb holder and the French bulb holders are a different diameter to the UK ones.

The comment about wire sizing was made by someone who does not understand electricity - if you double the voltage (110 - 220) you will halve the current (amps) for the same wattage bulb. Therefore the US cabling is TWICE as big as it needs to be in Europe - it'll work fine, just change the plug, or use an adapter.

Having said all that, finding incadescent bulbs is a problem - we have got used to using CFL's (compact fluourescent) which come in a variety of options. Look for "quick start" and "homelight" or "warm light". If you absolutely have to have incandescent send me a PM and I'll give you a website where they are available from the UK.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
you should rewire purchase local plug and socket.

Thanks
Lilindo
It is not necessary to rewire - the US wiring is twice the size of European and will work just fine. The US bulb socket is also fine (E27 screw fitting) so European 240vac bulbs will fit.

New plug is all that is needed (or an adapter)

Cheers

·
Registered
125 Posts
The 'guy' side of this topic has been covered.
The 'gal' side is -I am happy we brought our lamps as generally the french lamps are smaller and shorter and, to be polite, ugly. The same designs seem to be carried by everyone and they are expensive. However, if you want very modern, artsy style lights, there is a wide choice of some very interesting designs. Good luck with you move

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.