Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Just a question regarding Australian transit visas...
My OH and I will be travelling from Istanbul to Auckland via Singapore soon with Emirates and it appears that all of their flights transit through Australia. My OH, being Turkish, will require a transit visa no matter how long the transit period is, so I was wondering if it's possible to use this for a little (less than 72 hours) stopover so I can organise some stuff while I'm home.

The immigration website states: "If you intend to stopover in Australia longer than 72 hours you will not be eligible for a transit visa, and should obtain another type of visa." So to me, this means as long as the stopover is less than 72 hours you should be eligible for the transit visa. But has anyone actually done this, or tried to do this and hit problems with immigration for not taking the first flight out?

We will of course have all visas for NZ ready and confirmed onward booking before making the application (as requested on the website). Although does anyone think that it's a little silly as you need a confirmed booking before being granted the visa? What happens if your application is denied?

If anyone has any experience with this I would really appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance,
tashla

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.