Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
US federal law requires that SS is direct deposited on the 3rd of each month. If the 3rd falls on a weekend or a holiday monday, it will be deposited the Friday before.

Here in the Philippines I usually wait till the 5th of the month to be sure its in the bank.
Also, yes, Social Security will email you a verification of your entitlement. Just take that to the bank to open your SS dollar account.

Metrobank will require $100us dollars to open and keep in the account at all times. It's worth the legwork setting up the account here and takes the worry out of problems and issues with trying to deal with banks and Social Security back in the States.

Jet Lag
My SS is direct deposited on the 2nd Wednesday of each month, of course this is to a stateside bank. The 3rd of the month changed a few years ago, at least prior to Dec 2010 when I started drawing. At least stateside for retirees my time and after it can be the 2nd , 3rd or 4th Wednesday of the month and depends on the day of the month you were born on i.e, 1-10, 11-20, 21-31.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031.pdf

Chuck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ya, since I've been here my wife always gets on me for spending. "Every pesos counts." I think I will walk around Bacolod for the day and visit various banks. If nothing else it will give me something to do. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
My SS is direct deposited on the 2nd Wednesday of each month, of course this is to a stateside bank. The 3rd of the month changed a few years ago, at least prior to Dec 2010 when I started drawing. At least stateside for retirees my time and after it can be the 2nd , 3rd or 4th Wednesday of the month and depends on the day of the month you were born on i.e, 1-10, 11-20, 21-31.

Chuck
That's cool and good to know. Government keeps changing everything. Guess we can't complain really. The guys from Canada lose 25% of their SS every month by living outside of Canada. If the Feds did that to us there would be a 2nd revolutionary war! Hahaha.

Reactions: M.C.A.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Ya, since I've been here my wife always gets on me for spending. "Every pesos counts." I think I will walk around Bacolod for the day and visit various banks. If nothing else it will give me something to do. Thanks for the advice.
I heard that for sure. Here, I don't bother spending very often. I transfer retirement accounts into our joint peso acct and my wife just uses what is needed for bills and living expenses.
My young daughters are also on the peso acct and use their ATM cards when needed.
I even have them on the mail room at the VFW Post if they ever need to pick up that "Are you still alive" yearly letter that SS sends. Works out pretty good for us.

When looking for a bank there, remember there are only a select few that the US government approves for SS deposits. BPI, Metrobank, and Chinabank are some of them but I don't have the list of all of them.

Jet

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts
DFAS? MyPay

I'm not on SS yet. I'm a federal government retiree until I turn 62. Contacting and getting help from them can be quite difficult. My direct deposit is deposited on the 1st in the states, but I heard that there may be a delay through the local bank here.

If MyPay...? I haven't done this yet but all your deposit information from the Government is located on your MyPay account and it can be downloaded or printed out, with that you can take that to your bank and see if that will work, if so ... get the banks routing number and which account number it will go into checking, savings or ___? DFAS told me they need those two things and they can set up a direct deposit, but it could take up to two months for deposit to be set up, depends on when you submit it. :fingerscrossed:

You can either call DFAS or log onto your MyPay account and email through this service, I've done this in the past.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If MyPay...? I haven't done this yet but all your deposit information from the Government is located on your MyPay account and it can be downloaded or printed out, with that you can take that to your bank and see if that will work, if so ... get the banks routing number and which account number it will go into checking, savings or ___? DFAS told me they need those two things and they can set up a direct deposit, but it could take up to two months for deposit to be set up, depends on when you submit it. :fingerscrossed:

You can either call DFAS or log onto your MyPay account and email through this service, I've done this in the past.
According to the DFAS site if they receive the change by the 19th of the month it should be deposited in the new account on the 1st of the next month. The change can be done online with your MyPay account. Checking yesterday on the DFAS site Philippines is still not listed as a direct deposit authorized country. If anyone is getting their us military retirement pay direct deposited to a Philippine bank please advise. I know you can have it deposited to the 2 PNB branches in US then transferred to your PNB branch here.

Chuck

·
Super Moderator
3,242 Posts
PNB Philippines

According to the DFAS site if they receive the change by the 19th of the month it should be deposited in the new account on the 1st of the next month. The change can be done online with your MyPay account. Checking yesterday on the DFAS site Philippines is still not listed as a direct deposit authorized country. If anyone is getting their us military retirement pay direct deposited to a Philippine bank please advise. I know you can have it deposited to the 2 PNB branches in US then transferred to your PNB branch here.

Chuck
I don't see the Philippines either on their list of authorized direct deposits but 5 years ago I sent off a letter to DFAS and the reply from them was all that they needed was a routing number and what account checking or savings it was to be deposited into. :fingerscrossed:

I'm going to do this next year or after January so I'll start a new thread when that time comes, I use PNB Bank so my next time there I'll enquire if they have any pensioners there receiving direct deposit from the US or Military pensioners.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts

Chuck
Been at least 15 years. I started collecting in 2001 and has always been deposited on the 3rd wed as my bday is 19.

Fred

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't see the Philippines either on their list of authorized direct deposits but 5 years ago I sent off a letter to DFAS and the reply from them was all that they needed was a routing number and what account checking or savings it was to be deposited into. :fingerscrossed:

I'm going to do this next year or after January so I'll start a new thread when that time comes, I use PNB Bank so my next time there I'll enquire if they have any pensioners there receiving direct deposit from the US or Military pensioners.
I just sent DFAS a query on their support system and will post their reply when I receive it.

Chuck

61 - 69 of 69 Posts