Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
well me and my wife are going through a dilema
I am British my wife is American
We live in the U.S in Utah and took me a year to get my fiancee visa and were apart the whole time i moved the the States and got my 2 year greencard (been here 17 months now) and got a job doing customer service for $9 a hr NO benifits or any extras ( i am a carpet installer but is not a required trade here )
i am just wondering what your choice would be and what you suggest doing we know we need to decide soon so any and all advise is welcome

Many Thanks
wilky

***i moved here to the US for my wife because she didnt want to leave her family, but we were soon cut off from them when they found out i wasnt American and had no intention of giving up my British citizenship
In your circumstances, in my opinion you may consider staying in the USA at least for now for following reasons:

1. You may consider aiming to get US citizenship, this will make life for both of you flexible especially will have freedom to return back to the US anytime in the future. I did that and find it a huge peace of mind. By doing so, you will not have to give up your UK citizenship as both countries allow dual-nationality (in a sense they simply ignore your other nationality)

2. UK immigration rules for spouse are to be made much stricter in the next couple of months. Unless your application for your wife is all set for submission, its likely you may not qualify under the new rules where the financial requirements is planned to increase radically from current 13K to 26K (before tax). Not to forget this is an expensive procedure (couple of thousand dollars in the beginning).

I am here in the UK for family reasons but if it was not for that, I much rather stay in the US. Economic woes in Europe has significantly dented UK job market but the US market, generally speaking, is comparatively more robust.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.