Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well me and my wife are going through a dilema
I am British my wife is American
We live in the U.S in Utah and took me a year to get my fiancee visa and were apart the whole time i moved the the States and got my 2 year greencard (been here 17 months now) and got a job doing customer service for $9 a hr NO benifits or any extras ( i am a carpet installer but is not a required trade here )
my wife is pregnant and just got laid of from her part time job as a Para Educater which puts our income at $1300 a month after taxes and before rent etc. We barely get by and live in a not so good area. Niether of us has any friends and just seem to stay in and not do much. I keep trying to get better jobs but as soon as they hear my accent they are like we will let you know and i never hear back and am begining to feel we are flogging a dead horse and with the economy here going down hill quickly i fear of losing my job more and more
we are trying to decide whether to move back to the UK (Scotland to be exact ) my parents have a small 30 acre farm there and have told us we are welcome to move back and live rent free till we get on our feet and told us we are welcome to a acre of the land to build a house on if we wanted there isnt many job prospects up in that area though but i have alot of contacts and my family said they will help us find work.

Would the life style be worth coming home and better for my family?

i am just wondering what your choice would be and what you suggest doing we know we need to decide soon so any and all advise is welcome

Many Thanks
wilky

***i moved here to the US for my wife because she didnt want to leave her family, but we were soon cut off from them when they found out i wasnt American and had no intention of giving up my British citizenship
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Well that last bit certainly is weird. But to the rest, I can relate.

I'm from Utah, my wife is from England. When we first got married, she came to live with me (on a K1 fiancee visa). We struggled. I was a trainer for a third-party technical support company in Magna, and lived out there as well, which as you know isn't the best, and the pay/benefits weren't much better than what you're at. She did temp work as reception or general office work. This was before the economy turned sour, and it was still pretty bad. The biggest difference is that we had plenty of friends and family near us there.

My company did eventually move me out to California, and things are much, much more comfortable out here. Our rent's more expensive, but we're making over twice what we did in Utah, and benefits are much nicer as well. The down-side is that we have no friends or family out here.

Our little man will be 2 in July, and when we were married, I promised my wife that we'd move back to England before we had kids starting in school. The public education system over here makes her nervous.

So we're moving back to England now because A) we want our son to be around extended family, and B) we want him in what we perceive to be better schools. (This is just a judgement we make based on our particular criteria for what we want, not any kind of blanket statement leveled at the US education system.)

What this means for us is that we'll be starting all over again, and we're probably going to start at the bottom again. Bad jobs, tight money, all the rest of the baggage that comes with it.

Our son will have health care, he'll have people around him who care for him, and while he won't have as many material things as he'd have if we stayed here, we feel he'll have a brighter future and ultimately a more fulfilling life.

Since you've got a little one coming, just put him or her first. Decide what's important, and it'll fall into place for you like it did for us.

With you just getting your green card, you might not want to listen to this piece of advice, so ignore it if it doesn't fits your situation and life better: We waited until my wife had citizenship in the US before moving back, so we'd never have to go through the US immigration process again. If you move back to Scotland now, and things don't work out, you'll have a headache on your hands (depending on how long you'd wait to move back). You may want to wait 2 years and apply for Removal of Conditions, then another year and apply for citizenship. In a case like that, your son or daughter will still be under school age and the move won't be too huge a deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
258 Posts
well me and my wife are going through a dilema
I am British my wife is American
We live in the U.S in Utah and took me a year to get my fiancee visa and were apart the whole time i moved the the States and got my 2 year greencard (been here 17 months now) and got a job doing customer service for $9 a hr NO benifits or any extras ( i am a carpet installer but is not a required trade here )
...
i am just wondering what your choice would be and what you suggest doing we know we need to decide soon so any and all advise is welcome

Many Thanks
wilky

***i moved here to the US for my wife because she didnt want to leave her family, but we were soon cut off from them when they found out i wasnt American and had no intention of giving up my British citizenship
In your circumstances, in my opinion you may consider staying in the USA at least for now for following reasons:

1. You may consider aiming to get US citizenship, this will make life for both of you flexible especially will have freedom to return back to the US anytime in the future. I did that and find it a huge peace of mind. By doing so, you will not have to give up your UK citizenship as both countries allow dual-nationality (in a sense they simply ignore your other nationality)

2. UK immigration rules for spouse are to be made much stricter in the next couple of months. Unless your application for your wife is all set for submission, its likely you may not qualify under the new rules where the financial requirements is planned to increase radically from current 13K to 26K (before tax). Not to forget this is an expensive procedure (couple of thousand dollars in the beginning).

I am here in the UK for family reasons but if it was not for that, I much rather stay in the US. Economic woes in Europe has significantly dented UK job market but the US market, generally speaking, is comparatively more robust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
631 Posts
We are surprisingly still deciding, although pretty sure we want to move to Wales. We had agreed upon it before we were married that we wanted for her to go to a Welsh medium school.

We don't have family in Wisconsin and Wales is much more at home than Wisconsin is for either of us. But in addition the extremes in politics here has made the environment pretty toxic.

Something else that is part of our decision is that our daughter, born march 2010 will start school in April if we go back, but not until Sept 2014 in the US.

I do worry about work in the UK, I've been the primary earner in the family for a long time and it will be difficult for my husband to pick up with his work.

Good luck with you decision, it is a difficult one no matter your current circumstances.

BTW: you are probably going to get mostly go to the UK answers here.:)
M
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top