Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need some guidance for my case. Any replies will be helpful.

Who I am:
  • Indian citizen,
  • 29 years old, single
  • MS from USA + 4 years work exp in the USA (STEM field),
  • Sister is an Australian citizen,
  • As of today I am living and working in the USA on the H1B work visa,
  • My occupation and education are related to "Software Engineer"
  • I want to move to Australia and live there permanently.

Since IELTS testing has been suspended in the USA due to COVID-19, I will have to wait for a while until testing centers reopen.

1) I want to apply for an Australian PR without an Australian job offer in hand.
2) I will continue working at my USA job during this application process.
3) Once I get my PR approved, I will start looking for jobs in Australia, while living and working in the USA.
4) If and when I get the Australian job, I quit my USA job and move to Australia.

Keeping this in mind, please can you let me know if the following timeline makes sense?:
1) I take the IELTS test once testing resumes in the USA.
2) I submit my Expression of Interest.
If I get invited to apply for the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) Points-tested stream visa:
3) Get my skills assessed by the ACS (since I am a software engineer).
4) Gather documents related to Health and Character requirements.
5) Apply for the visa within 60 days of being invited. From the points calculator, I score 70-80 points.
6) Get PR approval in 1 to 1.5 years. No need for visa stamping in passport?
7) Start looking for an Australian job. Once I have secured one, I quit my job here in the USA.
8) Move.

More questions:
1) Am I correct in understanding that Australia no longer does PR visa stamping in passport? When my sister got her PR, she had to get a stamp, but that was more than 5 years ago.
2) If I do need a visa stamp, can I get it from the Australian consulate in the USA or do I need to come to Australia?

I have tried my best to gather this information from the Australian immigration website. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If I get invited to apply for the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) Points-tested stream visa:
5) Apply for the visa within 60 days of being invited. From the points calculator, I score 70-80 points.
Above is the biggest hurdle that you will have, i.e getting an invite for a Software Engineer with 70 to 80 points is virtually impossible in the current scenario. What may happen 2 years from now, is anybody's guess. All your other queries on stamping your passport is void, when getting a PR itself is in question.

You may alternatively explore at options on improving your points around 90 or 95. Even then there is a long wait and with invitations suspended, there are more who will get on the queue.

All the best, whichever way you decide.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply! I don't think I can get more than 80 points with my current situation for 189 or 190.

·
Registered
576 Posts

Who I am:

• Indian citizen,
  • 29 years old, single

Since IELTS testing has been suspended in the USA due to COVID-19, I will have to wait for a while until testing centers reopen.

1) I want to apply for an Australian PR without an Australian job offer in hand.

3) Once I get my PR approved, I will start looking for jobs in Australia, while living and working in the USA.

4) If and when I get the Australian job, I quit my USA job and move to Australia.

Keeping this in mind, please can you let me know if the following timeline makes sense?:

7) Start looking for an Australian job. Once I have secured one, I quit my job here in the USA.

8) Move.

More questions:

1) Am I correct in understanding that Australia no longer does PR visa stamping in passport? When my sister got her PR, she had to get a stamp, but that was more than 5 years ago.

2) If I do need a visa stamp, can I get it from the Australian consulate in the USA or do I need to come to Australia?

I have tried my best to gather this information from the Australian immigration website. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Thank you in advance.
You understanding is pretty much correct requiring correction on only one point.
Regarding the whole Application process, you first need to get your ACS assessment done along with language test to submit your EOI to be invited and complete rest of the procedure thereafter.
I can confirm that you no longer need a visa stamping alike US, the application approval allows you to enter Australia just with your passport (Can carry the approval letter just to be safe, * I did* ).

Regards,

Reactions: usa_to_aus

·
Registered
21,877 Posts
Thank you for the reply! I don't think I can get more than 80 points with my current situation for 189 or 190.
Don’t waste your money is skills assessment and English tests
You have zero chance of an invite
H1B has no value in Australia
Look to Canada

Cheers

·
Registered
63 Posts
If your MS degree and work experience is in line with one of the high growth sector that is mentioned in the below link, and you have a comparable salary, then you can definitely try for Subclass 124.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/vis...-innovation/global-talent-independent-program

There is also a thread here if you need more info:

https://www.expatforum.com/expats/a...rogram-subclass-124-858-query-eligibilty.html

Who I am:
  • Indian citizen,
  • 29 years old, single

8) Move.

More questions:

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Who I am:
  • Indian citizen,
  • 29 years old, single

8) Move.

More questions:

Thank you in advance.
Hey - Just curious why do you choose Australia over Canada. I mean Toronto is the go-to place for tech companies and the proximity to USA helps too?

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey - Just curious why do you choose Australia over Canada. I mean Toronto is the go-to place for tech companies and the proximity to USA helps too?

Cheers
OzboyfromCH, yes Toronto is great for tech.

I was considering Australia so that I could live close to my sister who is an Australian citizen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the replies!

Since money is not a problem for me right now, I could invest in another Master's level degree in Australia, earn some Academic and Work Experience in Australia after graduation, and then apply for the Australian PR.

How does that sound?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Thank you all for the replies!

Since money is not a problem for me right now, I could invest in another Master's level degree in Australia, earn some Academic and Work Experience in Australia after graduation, and then apply for the Australian PR.

How does that sound?
That is a long way ahead and it is futile to guess how a migration programme will be years from now.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts