Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am in a long distance relationship, I live in the UK and my girlfriend and her 5 year old adopted son live in the USA. She and I both want her to live over here with me, but we are a little unsure of what our first step would have to be and what the requirements are to live in the UK permanently or something like that.

I saw something posted about this about 7 years ago here but I know things have changed since then with border control etc.

Don't know if this helps but im 20 and shes 23. Currently I live with my parents at the moment and she lives with her parents but this would change if she can live here. She has not been to England before, but anywhere with me and her son is where she wants to be :eek:

---

Basically I would really appreciate some information, advice from someone who is in a similar position or has had this sort of thing before would be nice.

Just to clear a few things up, We have been in a long distance relationship for about a year. We have been talking about marriage and living in the UK permanently, but nothing in motion as of yet (maybe next year or so).

If i was unclear about anything here or if a bit of information was missing which you could use to help me out then please ask.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
There is no "girlfriend visa" so your only realistic option is to get married, then apply for a spouse visa. You must meet income, relationship, and accommodation requirements.

·
Super Moderator
18,054 Posts
Have you ever met?

She can't just move here because she wants to. She has to be sponsored for a visa. Her choices are limited. A spouse visa in which you would be the sponsor for her and her son. As AmyD has indicated you have to meet tge requirements one of which is the financial requirement. If you are employed you'd have to be earning £22,400/year. There are other options such as savings. Read through FM 1.7:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...pendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

Only you can sponsor her for a spouse visa. 3rd part support is not allowed.

A Tier 2 work visa requires an employer to sponsor her. If her job isn't on the shortage occupation list it's extremely difficult to qualify unless you are at the top of your field with extensive experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.