Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to provide FBI clearance for a spouse visa before? I had the state of NY police clearance but apparently this isn't enough. Has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
I had to do it for myself. I got the form from the FBI for fingerprints, filled it out, then took it to the local AU police station with the mailing envelope to send it back to the FBI.

Then the AU police took my fingerprints on the card and they mailed it from the station directly to the FBI. Make you put something like "for Immigration purposes" on the envelope otherwise they process it a bit slowly.

Has anyone had to provide FBI clearance for a spouse visa before? I had the state of NY police clearance but apparently this isn't enough. Has anyone done this before?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Amaslam, we are in Melbourne and the central police dept only does fingerprints for the city, the first appointment they can give me is the 19th of November! Does anyone know where in Melbourne I might be able to get fingerprints other than the police?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Tewy:

I just went to my closest police station (just walked in), paid the fee ($40/set of fingerprints) and they did it then and there. Maybe MEL has different rules (I'm in SYD).

Thanks Amaslam, we are in Melbourne and the central police dept only does fingerprints for the city, the first appointment they can give me is the 19th of November! Does anyone know where in Melbourne I might be able to get fingerprints other than the police?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Amaslam,
just two more quick questions. Did you get two sets of prints - ink and latent? And did you have to organise return postage - if so how? The Australian Goverment pages say you need to organise return post but doesn't tell you how and the FBI page mentions nothing about postage. I am confused!
The cost for the penal clearance is $18....

Hi Tewy:

I just went to my closest police station (just walked in), paid the fee ($40/set of fingerprints) and they did it then and there. Maybe MEL has different rules (I'm in SYD).

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
This was about 6 yrs ago, so I got all the prints needed for the form (it could've been two sets, can't remember anymore). I think the $18 includes the return postage, but it's all by regular mail. If you have any US stamps, you could put in an extra envelope with a bunch of US stamps stuck on and the return address.

Hi Amaslam,
just two more quick questions. Did you get two sets of prints - ink and latent? And did you have to organise return postage - if so how? The Australian Goverment pages say you need to organise return post but doesn't tell you how and the FBI page mentions nothing about postage. I am confused!
The cost for the penal clearance is $18....

·
Registered
57 Posts
hi all, I have a similar question. I'm still in the US, going for a 457 (with spouse). Neither of us have any criminal history whatsoever, so is it possible that a criminal history clearance is not required? I've read some conflicting information, even on the Immigration website it says not to get this until it is asked for (not at time of application).

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi:

A PCC is always required (Character requirement) even for Temp visas like the 457.

The reason you should wait until asked is that there is a risk the clearance becomes invalid if the processing takes longer than 6 months or 1 yr. Now with most 457 this is a small risk, but it is a real risk for many other types of visas (PRs without priority).

In the risk they become invalid you would be asked to get a new set.

Character Requirement - Applications & Forms

hi all, I have a similar question. I'm still in the US, going for a 457 (with spouse). Neither of us have any criminal history whatsoever, so is it possible that a criminal history clearance is not required? I've read some conflicting information, even on the Immigration website it says not to get this until it is asked for (not at time of application).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts