Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Our Wii is broken, but we have a lot if games. Trying to decide if we should buy a new one here in the states (so our games will work on it) or buy a new one in France (so it will be sure to work with the tv). Or will neither option work? Has anyone tried their US Wii games on a French Wii console or taken a US Wii to France? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Caroline

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hi. Our Wii is broken, but we have a lot if games. Trying to decide if we should buy a new one here in the states (so our games will work on it) or buy a new one in France (so it will be sure to work with the tv). Or will neither option work? Has anyone tried their US Wii games on a French Wii console or taken a US Wii to France? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Caroline
Hi Caroline,

My daughter brought her American Wii here along with her games. Since our 26" flat screen TV was relatively new, we shipped it with our household goods. That's what she's using to play games but it's going through a voltage converter.

She's also using that TV for her X-Box 360. I don't know if she's using it for things other than games as her room is off limits.

Good Luck

·
Registered
550 Posts
I can tell you with certainty that an American Wii works with a French TV without problem. We've had ours hooked up for about a year. If you do buy a Wii before leaving, be sure to purchase the special power cord that works with European current and then you'll only have to put an outlet adapter on it and not a transformer. We bought our power cord at GameStop, but they should be available other places.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much to both of you!! We really didn't want to sell off all our games...what about all the progress we've made on SIMS and Mario Galaxy?! :humble: :first:

One more question: Have you bought games over there that work on you US Wii?

Thanks again,

Caroline

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi all,

I don't have any answers for you but a similar question. My partner and I are moving to France (soon hopefully) we have a new 42" plasma tv and playstation 3 and xbox 360 and wii all on uk plugs. We are planning on bringing them over with us and just using a plug converter - is this going to work or are we being overly naive?

Cheers

Catherine

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Thanks for that. I'll probably play it safe and buy games in the states (or online and have them sent to my parents to be forwarded to us).

Caroline
If you buy games from the States, be prepared for sticker shock.

I ordered a game for my daughter from the US and had it mailed to my Sister. The price of the game was $60. The shipping to France, from Orlando was $40. with insurance :eek:

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you buy games from the States, be prepared for sticker shock.

I ordered a game for my daughter from the US and had it mailed to my Sister. The price of the game was $60. The shipping to France, from Orlando was $40. with insurance :eek:
Next time use a Flat Rate Envelope. I can't remember exactly what the shipping is, but it's around $14. You can fit two games in it. Even without that, in a padded envelope, it shouldn't have been nearly $40. Did she overnight it?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Next time use a Flat Rate Envelope. I can't remember exactly what the shipping is, but it's around $14. You can fit two games in it. Even without that, in a padded envelope, it shouldn't have been nearly $40. Did she overnight it?
No, but it was packed very well. My brother-in-law is meticulous about these things.

I guess other options might be to order from Amazon UK, after ensuring the game will work on a US console or ordering from a reputable Ebay seller if the shipping is reasonable.

Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Administrator
48,516 Posts
Just be careful what you put on the customs sticker. There is a threshold over which you'll simply be sent a bill for the VAT (19.6% of whatever the declared value is). It may be as low as $20 or so these days, but I'm not sure.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
19 Posts
we have a fench wii on a us tv. and it works fine. we just had to buy an pal/ntsc converter on amazon; and no problem, exept for finding new games here;)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Hi all,

I don't have any answers for you but a similar question. My partner and I are moving to France (soon hopefully) we have a new 42" plasma tv and playstation 3 and xbox 360 and wii all on uk plugs. We are planning on bringing them over with us and just using a plug converter - is this going to work or are we being overly naive?

Cheers

Catherine
None of our resident experts provided advise yet? OK. I assume your TV is 220 volt so the right adapter plug will take care of the electrical issue.

The other issue is what broadcast system will your TV accept? Here's everything you wanted to know about broadcast systems:Pal Secam NTSC World Standards Conversion Transfer Convert

Since I've not lived in the UK I have no experience with British TVs. Perhaps one of your fellow countryman will provide additional information?

Good Luck

·
Registered
38,902 Posts
None of our resident experts provided advise yet? OK. I assume your TV is 220 volt so the right adapter plug will take care of the electrical issue.

The other issue is what broadcast system will your TV accept? Here's everything you wanted to know about broadcast systems:Pal Secam NTSC World Standards Conversion Transfer Convert

Since I've not lived in the UK I have no experience with British TVs. Perhaps one of your fellow countryman will provide additional information?

Good Luck
No problems. Just need a plug adaptor for your consoles, or just bring along UK 4 or 6-way extension and attach one adaptor to it.

Your plasma TV will receive French freeview channels (called TNT - all in French of course). If you have a Sky box which is out of contract (more than a year old), just bring it over with a simple dish and you can get all UK channels, or a Freesat box. Probably standard Sky dish will do, or get a slightly bigger 80 cm one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
No problems. Just need a plug adaptor for your consoles, or just bring along UK 4 or 6-way extension and attach one adaptor to it.

Your plasma TV will receive French freeview channels (called TNT - all in French of course). If you have a Sky box which is out of contract (more than a year old), just bring it over with a simple dish and you can get all UK channels, or a Freesat box. Probably standard Sky dish will do, or get a slightly bigger 80 cm one.
Thank you that's one more little weight off my mind - just out of curiosity, is there a French equivalent of the TV licence in the UK that we will need to pay for?

·
Registered
38,902 Posts
Thank you that's one more little weight off my mind - just out of curiosity, is there a French equivalent of the TV licence in the UK that we will need to pay for?
Yes there is, currently around 118 euro/year, but you don't pay for it separately - it's collected as part of your annual taxe d'habitation, and the fact you have a TV set must be declared on your annual tax return. Even if you use it just to play games or playback DVDs, you still have to pay.

·
Administrator
48,516 Posts
Yes there is, currently around 118 euro/year, but you don't pay for it separately - it's collected as part of your annual taxe d'habitation, and the fact you have a TV set must be declared on your annual tax return. Even if you use it just to play games or playback DVDs, you still have to pay.
You don't actually declare your television set on your tax return. They basically assume every household has at least one television, so if you don't, you can/should declare that fact on your income tax return so that the information will be processed for your taxe d'habitation assessment. It's kind of an "opt out" thing rather than an "opt in" thing.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.