Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I won DV-lottery but I haven't activated it yet. I have 3 months from now to do so. But 2 days ago I got offer for 457 visa to Australia, salary is nothing special, but at least for first 6 months my accommodation would be covered also.
It's bit difficult for me to decide whether to go to US with Greencard or take 457 to OZ and stay in remote area for a while. I've been in Australia before for 2 years on WHV, generally I know the cost of living and that its safe country, but I don't know anything about USA.

Or is it possible that I try to take both, activate greencard apply for re-enrty permit and then go to Australia - as visa paperwork takes some time anyways - I would use that time in US to get re-entry permit and so on.
Do I have to pay tax to US when I'm greencard holder but working in OZ?

thanks whoever can share their opinion..

·
Registered
18 Posts
You would be crazy not to take the GC option. Its permanent residence in the USA and valid for 10 years, once activated. You can apply for citizenship if you remain in the USA for 5 years.

If you come to Australia (after getting the GC), you will only be tax resident in Australia and pay tax there.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
You would be crazy not to take the GC option. Its permanent residence in the USA and valid for 10 years, once activated. You can apply for citizenship if you remain in the USA for 5 years.

If you come to Australia (after getting the GC), you will only be tax resident in Australia and pay tax there.
US green card holders are considered 'tax residents' by the IRS and must pay taxes on their worldwide income in the same way that US citizens are required to do so. This will necessitate filing a 1040 with the IRS every year even if you are not physically resident in the US. You may not necessarily owe the IRS anything but you will be required to file. Filing both US and Australian returns is complicated and you will probably need to hire an accountant familiar with US and Australian taxes as most US expats do. This will be an added cost to you every year.

You will also become a US 'person' and under FATCA, overseas banks are required to report to the US government any assets held at their institution by US 'persons' in case they are liable for tax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your answers, I decided to go to US - hopefully I like it and all goes well. If not then I hate myself for the rest of my life :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts