Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
The VA in the Philippines only provides service connected veterans with care. So unless you are in that category you do not get seen. The VA Manila is actually here to service Filipino WWII vets and will probably be gone in a few years. It also is the only VA facility outside the US or its Territories.

Chuck

·
Registered
631 Posts
As a disabled vet I do not see a problem with this. People saying things like “This in and of itself is a travesty and a slap in the face". Why?

I do not use the Manila VA, because for my disability they have nothing really to offer, and I do not live near Manila. It was still my decision to retire here. I am not registered with the VA here, I get nothing from them, and do not see it as a 'slap in the face'. This is the only VA outside of the US. What do people expect?

We can get the vaccine the same way as an other expat (however that happens to work out). I honestly do not understand what the problem is supposed to be. I did my research before moving over here and knew what the score was.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It always amuses me that Americans, who in general hate paying taxes, distrust their own government and hate that someone else might be getting a benefit from the government that they are not, are generally the first to raise a hue and cry about the need for their government to step in and help them when they have an issue in a foreign land.

We see it in VA benefits, consular intervention if charged with a crime, getting embassy and consular services outside of Manila etc.

No Europeans, Canadians, Brits, Kiwis and Aussies are complaining that their government is not sending ships to vaccinate them. We realize that we have voluntary chosen to live in a foreign land and that one of the consequences of that decision is that we are no longer eligible to some of the benefits that our countrymen at home are getting.,

·
Registered
718 Posts
I totally disagree about the veterans getting help in the Philippines. We got Canadians and Brits voicing there opinion on this subject. The Philippines is an American ally. I believe all American vets should get help if needed by the VA service. The service there in the Philippines cost 1/10 the cost in America. Yes, they chose to live there but look at the cost from America to the Philippines. the VA system in America should be glad all the vets are moving to the Philippines.

THINK ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT THE MONEY SAVINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

art

·
Registered
718 Posts
Manitoba, as an American it amuses me too. I am a disabled vet and get all my health care in the US for free. I do not get that here - and never expected it.
Hey Tukanram---I am a vet here in the states. they sent me to outside service to get a MRI of the Arm. It cost $785 fir the Va. I had a MRI when I was in the Philippines and the cost was $127. So, all these vets moving to the Philippines are saving the VA a ton of money even if the did take care of the VET in the Philippines.

art

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Mexico is a US ally, why not give full US government services there too.

How about all the countries in NATO? You guys should open a US government office in every city in the world that is allied with the US to provide US government services.

A few hundred offices. spread around the globe, staffed with people from many different government departments, plus the home office support staff to give the foreign office staff the necessary back office functions.

Just think of all the money you will save.

Perhaps you guys should open offices in countries not friendly to the US to save even more money.

For even more cost savings, most of you guys are from one of the 50 states, each state could open offices to provide you with services. Just think of the savings if you could renew your driver license in Cebu or Davao before you go home.

However that was not my point. One thing that unifies Americans and somewhat sets them apart from other nationalities is that they hate and distrust their government, hate that they pay taxes to go into programs that provide benefits to people who are not not them.

If it is a program that benefits them, then they are all for it, even to the extent of wanting the government to open offices in foreign lands to give them the benefit.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Mexico is a US ally, why not give full US government services there too.

How about all the countries in NATO? You guys should open a US government office in every city in the world that is allied with the US to provide US government services.

A few hundred offices. spread around the globe, staffed with people from many different government departments, plus the home office support staff to give the foreign office staff the necessary back office functions.

Just think of all the money you will save.

Perhaps you guys should open offices in countries not friendly to the US to save even more money.

For even more cost savings, most of you guys are from one of the 50 states, each state could open offices to provide you with services. Just think of the savings if you could renew your driver license in Cebu or Davao before you go home.

However that was not my point. One thing that unifies Americans and somewhat sets them apart from other nationalities is that they hate and distrust their government, hate that they pay taxes to go into programs that provide benefits to people who are not not them.

If it is a program that benefits them, then they are all for it, even to the extent of wanting the government to open offices in foreign lands to give them the benefit.
Nice sarcastic post! Guess you did not read my previous post, the VA Clinic is really not here for the vets subsequent to WWII. It was established to support the Filipino WWII vets that served in units of US military or aligned units. The support/services were expanded to include US veterans with service connect problems but is a renewable status authorized by Congress. That status is probably going away in the near term due to the deaths of the veterans it was initially established for.

Chuck

·
Registered
718 Posts
I am not an American VET that serve in a war or got hurt in the military. I was lucky not to fight in a war and got out of the MARINES unhurt. I fully support that our government take care of the vets no matter where they are at. Our government gives all the tax money to other countries. They could use that money to take care of our vets. THE PEOPLE FROM CANADA AND OTHER COUNTRIES SHOULD JUST BE QUIET!!!!!! They want to condemn the American VETS. they should worry about their government.

art

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I am not knocking American vets, I am knocking the American tendency to hate government, to believe government is evil and hate all government programs except those that help them directly.

Then these programs become an inalienable right and they want their government to open remote offices half way around the world to provide them with benefits that are normally only available at home.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Everybody seems to have gripes about their government. I was a Class C contractor here in Florida for over 30 years. We were flooded with Canadians coming down here to spend the winters in Florida. I heard so many bad stories about the Canadian government from my customers. So, the gripes were different then what the American vet is gripping about. But, LIKE I SAID EVERY COUNTRY HAS CITIZENS GRIPPING ABOUT SOMETHING. One grip from the Canadians was them transferring money here to pay for home improvements I did for them. The fee was terrible to transfer their money.

Just remember most of the VETS served in a war and fought for America and yes they need to be taken care of completely even over me since I didn't fight in a war. thank GOD!

art

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It always amuses me that Americans, who in general hate paying taxes, distrust their own government and hate that someone else might be getting a benefit from the government that they are not, are generally the first to raise a hue and cry about the need for their government to step in and help them when they have an issue in a foreign land.

We see it in VA benefits, consular intervention if charged with a crime, getting embassy and consular services outside of Manila etc.

No Europeans, Canadians, Brits, Kiwis and Aussies are complaining that their government is not sending ships to vaccinate them. We realize that we have voluntary chosen to live in a foreign land and that one of the consequences of that decision is that we are no longer eligible to some of the benefits that our countrymen at home are getting.,
IMHO, a deal to also immunize the local population as well would have to be agreed on before a ship would be allowed to dock here. Imagine the political outrage if a ship based here to only vaccine a certain group of foreigners when locals still have no access to it. Perhaps immunizations offered at their respective embassy?

May i suggest you view this Dec 27, 2020 Fox News Video revealing where Billions of US Citizens money $$$ is being sent to other countries for foolish programs from what is supposed to be a Covid-19 bill for US Citizens only. Free money such as $37 Million to Filipinos to stop playing hooky among them (07:00)
SOURCE:
Jesse Watters: Among a complacent country

Now that you've watched the video, you may begin to understand why Americans become outraged at why their money is being sent to other countries for so many foolish things when it's their money.

Americans system of Govt is different than others. American citizens own everything that is the US. From gold reserves, to Federal Lands to US oil reserves and all that is claimed by the US.

Canada is a constitutional monarchy, in that its executive authority is vested formally in the Queen
SOURCE: Parliamentary Institutions - The Canadian System of Government

We do not have a Queen or King, nor a Monarchy or a Dictator who may hoard their countries money from its citizens and deny aid. Perhaps that's why subjects of some countries don't complain.

US Citizens have the responsibility to stay informed of the issues affecting their communities, as well as national and international issues, and to be active in the civic processes. This includes being well informed about the issues and candidates before voting in an election, getting involved in a political campaign or running for public office, or using their right to address the government through activism.
SOURCE:
CyberCivics » Citizenship » Responsibilities of U.S. Citizens

Americans rant, particularly now regarding the lack of related support from The US regarding Covid-19. No entity owns the US Govt money. It is the US Citizens money. It should be spent on Americans first however billions in non Covid 19 aide is being sent to non US citizens of other countries overseas and in foreign lands for foolish programs.

We rant because we don't like scenarios where $37 Million is being sent to stop Filipinos from playing hooky to the other $$$ Billions sent to other Countries for foolish, non Covid related programs when only some US citizens who meet a certain low earning criteria are given a measly $600 out of this Covid-19 relief bill that is supposed to assist US Citizens only.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I got all my health care free at the VA, in the US. I knew I would not have access to it here in the PIs. I came here anyway, and do not regret it at all. Life is made up of decisions and consequences.

I always tell people that if health care is a major concern... do not move to a 3rd world country.

Such is life. :cool:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
IMHO, a deal to also immunize the local population as well would have to be agreed on before a ship would be allowed to dock here. Imagine the political outrage if a ship based here to only vaccine a certain group of foreigners when locals still have no access to it. Perhaps immunizations offered at their respective embassy?

Americans system of Govt is different than others. American citizens own everything that is the US. From gold reserves, to Federal Lands to US oil reserves and all that is claimed by the US.

Canada is a constitutional monarchy, in that its executive authority is vested formally in the Queen
SOURCE: Parliamentary Institutions - The Canadian System of Government

We do not have a Queen or King, nor a Monarchy or a Dictator who may hoard their countries money from its citizens and deny aid. Perhaps that's why subjects of some countries don't complain.

.... non Covid related programs when only some US citizens who meet a certain low earning criteria are given a measly $600 out of this Covid-19 relief bill that is supposed to assist US Citizens only.
Not sure what most of this has to do with the topic, but let me address a few of your points.

In the cold war, a lot was made of the fact that Americans wanted the war in Europe, fight them over there so we do not fight them here, attitude.

Foreign aid falls into the same category, fight the virus off shore so you do not fight it at home. (If you guys were actually fighting it at home that is.) It may be better to provide aid than to deal with the consequences of having a lot of people outside the USA with nothing to lose.

As far as the powers of the Queen go, you obviously have no idea how life actually works in one of Her Majesties Commonwealth Realms. While everything governmental is done in her name, and since she also has to provide assent top all bills, and everything owned by the government is Her Majesties property, she actually has just about zero actual power. The Throne speech is written for her, she says want the governments plans are, she has to sign every bill passed by the government of the day, not a realistic chance of anything ever being vetoed no matter what her personal feelings are.

She is the figurehead representing the nation, we pledge allegence through your flag.

Also take note that every freedom index out there puts the major commonwealth realms, Canada, Australia, UK, and NZ, along with some other constitutional monarchies in the world, at a more free status than the USA.

And the measly $600 payment was insisted by the GOP, the democrats wanted more than that right from the start.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Not sure what most of this has to do with the topic, but let me address a few of your points.

In the cold war, a lot was made of the fact that Americans wanted the war in Europe, fight them over there so we do not fight them here, attitude.

Foreign aid falls into the same category, fight the virus off shore so you do not fight it at home. (If you guys were actually fighting it at home that is.) It may be better to provide aid than to deal with the consequences of having a lot of people outside the USA with nothing to lose.

As far as the powers of the Queen go, you obviously have no idea how life actually works in one of Her Majesties Commonwealth Realms. While everything governmental is done in her name, and since she also has to provide assent top all bills, and everything owned by the government is Her Majesties property, she actually has just about zero actual power. The Throne speech is written for her, she says want the governments plans are, she has to sign every bill passed by the government of the day, not a realistic chance of anything ever being vetoed no matter what her personal feelings are.

She is the figurehead representing the nation, we pledge allegence through your flag.

Also take note that every freedom index out there puts the major commonwealth realms, Canada, Australia, UK, and NZ, along with some other constitutional monarchies in the world, at a more free status than the USA.

And the measly $600 payment was insisted by the GOP, the democrats wanted more than that right from the start.
Hard to equate Covid to the Cold War, like apples and oranges! While the Dems wanted more than $600 they wanted to attach PORK to the bill. See no problem with funding Covid related aid to foreign countries since it might benefit us in the long run, Actually the foreign aid approved was not for Covid aid but for transgender studies in Pakistan, building a wall somewhere(they said walls don't work, right?), etc. Also lets fund US stuff like Smithsonian, Kennedy Center, etc, that would not have passed as stand alone bills.

Chuck

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

This post was meant to be helpful information for US Veterans who live in The Philippines, not Canadian subjects of Elizabeth.

Have you noticed that no one is spewing anti Canadian comments? A local friends daughter had to swear allegiance to Elizabeth before she could become a Canadian citizen. To me that is outrageous but no one is ranting how crazy it is to swear allegiance to a queen.

“I swear (or affirm) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of Canada, and fulfil my duties as a Canadian citizen.”
SOURCE: The Oath of Citizenship - Canada.ca

Sad that you hijacking this post like a troll and spewing anti American, Anti American Veteran comments in a topic that has nothing to due with Canadian subjects of a queen.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The point seemed to be crying about not getting VA here. As a vet, why would I expect VA here? It is simply not an issue.
We can get our immunization the same way as every other expat. That is just one of the many things to consider before moving over here...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts