Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a 27 year old a US citizen and I may have the opportunity to work in Toulouse on a 36 month contract doing research. The stated salary range for the job is 1900-2400 Euros per month net. What is the standard of living in Toulouse? Is this a comfortable salary there, or will I need to live a bit light?

I'd appreciate any suggestions/comments anyone might have about a US to France transition.

(I have taken 4 years of French, so I know it fairly well...)

Thanks,

-Matt

·
Administrator
48,492 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Researchers aren't paid outstanding salaries in France, though it is very possible to live comfortably here on much less than you would need in the US for a comparable lifestyle. The big differences are that your health insurance is generally covered and the "co-pays" in the French system are 1 euro (for doctor visits) and 0,50 euro (for prescriptions) rather than the $20 + in the US system, and that the French in general don't go in so much for flashy "stuff."
Homes in France are considerably smaller than what you may be used to (but with less "stuff" that's not really a problem). In general, you'll spend your money very differently - but think of the marvelous food and drink here and, depending on your personal tastes, you may find you wind up ahead.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi again,

Well I've officially been offered the position in Toulouse... I've been trying to figure out a monthly budget, but dont have a point of reference. Could anyone give me ball park figures for the following?

Apartment/flat - EUR 400 roughly?
Cell phone - ??
Food/groceries (for one person) - ??
Electricity/cable/internet - ??
Renter's insurance - ??
anything i'm forgetting?

Thanks a ton for your help! I'd really like to make the move, but I'm concerned it might be a step down in pay from what I'm currently getting if the monthly expenses go up.

·
Administrator
48,492 Posts
Apartment/flat - EUR 400 roughly?
Cell phone - ??
Food/groceries (for one person) - ??
Electricity/cable/internet - ??
Renter's insurance - ??
anything i'm forgetting?
Can't help you with all of them, but a few points worth noting:

Cell phones here - you only pay for outgoing calls, not "air time" as in the US. The cheapest subscription plans run about 20€ a month for one hour a month of calls (usually with about 10 SMS messages as part of the deal). If you make lots of calls, a 4 hour plan will run you 45 - 60€ / month depending on the other goodies you get with it. Internet service for mobile phones is extra and based on data transmission (per month). PAYG phones can run much less, assuming you're mostly on the receiving end of calls.

Don't know the going rate for cable, but satellite tv (probably more common) runs about 20 to 25€ a month for basic service (a good 50 channels or so - the only English language ones are the news channels, CNN, BBC, Al-Jazeera, Skye News, CNBC - but some French channels broadcast some programs in "VM" where you can choose the original language over the French dubbed version).

It is, of course, possible to get combined phone, Internet and TV service - which starts at about 30€ a month (with special deals) and generally rises to about 50€ a month after the trial period. One disadvantage is that, if your Internet goes out, so does your tv and phone. (A friend of mine found herself in this unenviable position recently.)

ADSL is actually pretty cheap here - figure 25€ a month for a "standard consumer line" (though you can get faster and greater bandwidth for more). Standard phone lines run about 12 - 14€ per month plus usage (though you can arrange all sorts of deals for VOIP or alternative phone usage plans). For calls back to the US, go with a VOIP provider like Skype or Wengo at a mere 1 or 2 eurocents a minute.

With luck, someone will be along to help on the rental budget.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bev: Thanks for the info. I've been talking to others and it sounds like the typical cost of groceries in France is fairly reasonable.

Does anyone have any insight on salary negotiations in France? In the US, most companies are pretty open to negotiation, but I wasn't sure if thats a common thing there.

·
Administrator
48,492 Posts
As far as salary negotiations go, it could depend on who exactly you'll be working for. The various national research agencies aren't known for their over-generous salaries, and probably would not be terribly open to negotiation.

If you're talking about working for a private company, things could be considerably different.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.