Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
That photo on Livewire is truly scary from the viewpoint of Larry, Moe, and Curly.
That is all it is going to take to start an unintended war that the rest of us are going to have to finish. Not good..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well i would rather see our money going to support the Asian countries instead of the millions of dollars we have invested in the Middle East just to watch it fall into the hands of ISIS. Its a sad day for America to have to fight terrorist that have weapons we have supplied to them

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is interesting will be watching for the Right to be protesting the security of thier own nation
US Senate Wants to Arm The Philippines to Counter China
In my opinion, this strategy will not serve U.S. interests for Free Mobility interests and it will not serve the Philippines' interests to see more money going towards the maintenance and support of the larger military and greater amount of equipment.
I do see this as beneficial to U.S. military industries, but that should not be the interests the U.S. or Philippine government should focus on in this matter.

Re-opening a U.S. base or two might serve interests, but really, anything which leads to military conflict is not beneficial for the Philippines, China or U.S..

·
Registered
141 Posts
This is interesting will be watching for the Right to be protesting the security of thier own nation
US Senate Wants to Arm The Philippines to Counter China
In my opinion, this strategy will not serve U.S. interests for Free Mobility thru the area's waters and airspace.
It will not stop China's larger military.
It will not serve the Philippines' interests.
It will result in more Philippine money going towards the maintenance and support of the larger military and greater amount of equipment.
I do see this as beneficial to U.S. military industries, but that should not be the interests the U.S. or Philippine government should focus on in this matter.

Re-opening a U.S. base or two might serve interests, but really, anything which leads to military conflict is not beneficial for the Philippines, China or U.S..

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
In my opinion, this strategy will not serve U.S. interests for Free Mobility thru the area's waters and airspace.
It will result in more Philippine money going towards the maintenance and support of the larger military and greater amount of equipment.

We have little choice due in part to a previous agreement.,although i feel it was negated when we were asked to leave the philippines previously. The fact is usa is and has been the primary supporter and protector of pinas for 100 yrs. Wish others would help, in a major way. Do u think i want my tax dollars going to every other country? We will gladly let the others fund it.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

Frankly ,i wish usa would just say NO,not our problem.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Frankly ,i wish usa would just say NO,not our problem.
I think we should help in defense but using our (the US) and other countries military to do to. But to arm this country to where they have the capability to do real damage is more than a mistake. It is creating a disaster waiting to happen. Then it WILL be us that has to come to their aid and bale their tails out of the sling.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I think we should help in defense but using our (the US) and other countries military to do to. But to arm this country to where they have the capability to do real damage is more than a mistake. It is creating a disaster waiting to happen. Then it WILL be us that has to come to their aid and bale their tails out of the sling.
I agree...no way should we pay the bill to arm them. Let some other countries do it.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I agree...no way should we pay the bill to arm them. Let some other countries do it.
What I'm trying to put forth in a humane way, is that it is okay for other countries to help in the defense of the Philippines.
But to arm this country would give them the ability to get themselves into a war which is what the likely outcome would be. The idea is to help protect this country without having to finish a war that they get themselves into..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can only agree. Maybe the old ”shoot yourself in the foot” thing since I live here now but from what I saw going on during the 44 hearings it would scare me to death to think of this country fully armed. What could go wrong? Yeah. Either let Japan and Vietnam help them or make Phil the 51 state. Now that would be fun to watch.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
What I'm trying to put forth in a humane way, is that it is okay for other countries to help in the defense of the Philippines.
But to arm this country would give them the ability to get themselves into a war which is what the likely outcome would be. The idea is to help protect this country without having to finish a war that they get themselves into..
I understood and agree with u jet,just tired of us footing the bills to a place who doesnt care.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Can only agree. Maybe the old ”shoot yourself in the foot” thing since I live here now but from what I saw going on during the 44 hearings it would scare me to death to think of this country fully armed. What could go wrong? Yeah. Either let Japan and Vietnam help them or make Phil the 51 state. Now that would be fun to watch.
At one time they were a u.s. outlying island. My filipino buddy still has a bill saying usa on one side ,phils on other.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Making this the 51st state would work in the long run; but can you imagine the BILLIONS of dollars it would take just to fix the roads and highways here? Let alone everything else. Our fellow tax payers back home would revolt at the tax increases it would take--and rightfully so.

·
Registered
39 Posts
At one time they were a u.s. outlying island. My filipino buddy still has a bill saying usa on one side ,phils on other.
The idea of statehood does seem to have at least some Filipino grass roots support. At least when it comes up in Face Book comments in response to some news item. Cannot even start to imagine the fight the ”ruling class” would put up to stop it. Unless the Chinese fleet was sitting in Manila Bay. :)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Making this a 51st state would work in the long run; but can you imagine the BILLIONS of dollars it would take just to fix the roads and highways here? Let alone everything else. Our fellow tax payers back home would revolt at the tax increases it would take--and rightfully so.
We tried it once,didnt work. Would be the same as indian reservations and assimilation

·
Registered
39 Posts
We tried it once,didnt work. Would be the same as ibdian reservations and assimilation
Beyond the road repair and so forth just the.cultural aspect is mind blowing. Everything from ”no open burning” to ”divorce” to a system of recording property ownership, just on and on. Mind boggle.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
The idea of statehood does seem to have at least some Filipino grass roots support. At least when it comes up in Face Book comments in response to some news item. Cannot even start to imagine the fight the ”ruling class” would put up to stop it. Unless the Chinese fleet was sitting in Manila Bay. :)
Very true. I think if this country was going to become a state of the Union, the only practical time to do that would have been if they applied for statehood at the end of WWII in 1945. Since then, the infrastructure has become so degraded and lawlessness and corruption so pervasive that it would take a fortune and massive law enforcement to make a change--if ever.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Very true. I think if this country was going to become a state of the Union, the only practical time to do that would have been if they applied for statehood at the end of WWII in 1945. Since then, the infrastructure has become so degraded and lawlessness and corruption so pervasive that it would take a fortune and massive law enforcement to make a change--if ever.
Youre right,if ever.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Beyond the road repair and so forth just the.cultural aspect is mind blowing. Everything from ”no open burning” to ”divorce” to a system of recording property ownership, just on and on. Mind boggle.
Wife and i are(were) chatting about this topic in between post. Now she is mad at me bcoz she takes it personally,which usually happens with opposite cultures.,and my lack of beating around bush

1 - 20 of 22 Posts