Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that I would start a new thread as I keep finding threads or seeing new ones that discuss multiple income sources. As a retiree with no IRA type income, only my investment portfolio what sort of taxes am I likely to pay and to whom? I have SS but I am not inquiring about that. Will I be double taxed? And by who and how much? I will of course get an accountant once there. Thanks for any overview.

·
Administrator
51,328 Posts
You won't be double taxed, but the tax process is a bit "odd." For "straight" investment income (i.e. not funneled through an IRA or similar program), you report it simply as investment income, then you report it a second time on the 2047 form (foreign source income) according to type (i.e. interest, dividend, capital gains). You have to check the instructions for form 2047, but generally, most sources are subject to one of a couple of options (on the 4th page of the form) regarding being credited or not for French tax purposes.

The 8% tax on investment income (actually, any source of income not subject to cotisations) is not considered by the US to be an "income tax" and so is not creditable on your US tax returns. But any other "plus values" tax you are assessed can then be credited against next year's US tax obligation.

You may want to look into the AARO expat group. They do a number of seminars on taxes and investments and have considerable information available on taxes for expats living in France.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
241 Posts
Here are links to videos to 2 useful AARO seminars. And a newsletter that says, for US citizens, US-source investment income (and pensions) is only taxable in the US. So, no French income tax, no French social charges due on your US income. French investment income is a different matter. And your US income could push any French income into a higher tax bracket.

https://vimeo.com/113255609 Feb 2013

https://vimeo.com/118782393 Jan 2015

JeanTaquet.com | Issues

In January, AARO said they planned to publish a recent letter from the Finance Ministry regarding the above. I wrote to them several weeks ago for an update, but have had no reply.

·
Administrator
51,328 Posts
Thanks for the references - I hadn't realized that AARO is now posting their tax seminars online. Should be really useful for many folks here and elsewhere.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 4 of 4 Posts