Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I would like to say this forum is a great source of information. I have found all the conversations incredibly helpful and filled with useful, important info.

Any guidance on my questions below would be greatly appreciated. If my queries already exist in another thread, please advise and accept my apologies for duplicating efforts.

I'm struggling with the "domino effect" that needs to happen before anything else.

I will be moving to the UK (London) as an internal transfer (tier 2 I believe), and my company is processing all the sponsorship paperwork, etc.

How do I best plan for finding housing - can I even look for temp/permanent housing if visa not completed yet?

Can I open a UK bank account via a US branch?

These may be a stupid logical question, but with all that needs to be done (move, find home, banking, etc.) how can you do any legwork if you haven't officially been approved?

Any recommendations/experience on the best relo firms to find flat rental? (i.e. londonrelocationservices or others?)

With all the upcoming events in the UK, I'm concerned about have proper time for all that needs to be done.

I appreciate any guidance, and apologies if these questions are deemed basic - I haven't been able to get consistent info.

Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
18,086 Posts
HSBC has account called the Passport Account which is designed from people relocating to another country. Other than that, it is generally difficult to open a bank account because you must show proof of UK address. If the Passport account isn't for you, then ask your employer if they can help you.

Is your company giving you a couple of weeks of short term accommodation to give you time to find a place to live?

·
Administrator
50,807 Posts
If you are being transferred by your employer, I would fall back on them for assistance with most of the day-to-day things. They should be able to help with, say, a few weeks of interim housing when you first arrive so you can find a more permanent arrangement.

You should probably also ask for some kind of introduction letter from your employer for opening a bank account (basically confirming your employment terms) - or ask your employer if there are any special deals for employees who open an account with the company's bank. (Makes it easier for them to pay in your salary directly to your account.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks nyclon and Bevdeforges - appreciate the insight.

I am receiving money reimbursement for temporary accommodation.

Unfortunately, regarding the day to day, my firm is not well versed in global mobility and I'm only one of a handful that have done/will be doing this with the firm. We are are a smaller company, so they are not as well versed in the ins-and-outs.

I'm being reimbursed and allocated funds for all of the day to day elements, but on my own in terms of setting everything up etc.

being at a standstill is frustrating -to not begin coordinating w movers, etc.

thanks for the info and support.

·
Super Moderator
18,086 Posts
Thanks nyclon and Bevdeforges - appreciate the insight.

I am receiving money reimbursement for temporary accommodation.

Unfortunately, regarding the day to day, my firm is not well versed in global mobility and I'm only one of a handful that have done/will be doing this with the firm. We are are a smaller company, so they are not as well versed in the ins-and-outs.

I'm being reimbursed and allocated funds for all of the day to day elements, but on my own in terms of setting everything up etc.

being at a standstill is frustrating -to not begin coordinating w movers, etc.

thanks for the info and support.
It doesn't really matter whether they are putting you up or reimbursing you for temporary accommodation. You should try to find a serviced flat for a couple of weeks so you can spend some time getting to know where it is that you want to live. I've said it in countless threads, London is 659 square miles so you need to spend a little time getting to know what area is right for you. Unless you have a lot of complicated needs like pets, getting kids into school, etc I don't know how useful relocation companies are. If the company is paying go for it, but you can probably manage on your own. What are your specific concerns other than opening a bank account?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.