1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I thought Laura Bush was CLASS. Certainly this new one is not in that same class. Observations by males of women are usually different than those by females.

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
I thought Laura Bush was CLASS. Certainly this new one is not in that same class. Observations by males of women are usually different than those by females.
I would say that the current first lady is in a "class" of her own, a mighty fine one!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Yes, observations of women by men are different. When you see a news item about a man by a man, it tends to focus on his career, his crime or his other claims to fame. It seldom mentions his appearance or his manner of dress. I don't think I need to go into detail about how different it is when a man is writing about a woman.

Laura Bush was a nice looking medium sized white woman whose claim to fame, if I recall, was having been a schoolteacher, and who represented the ideal conservative wife; modestly dressed and never, ever outspoken.

In contrast, Michelle Obama is very black, very tall and often outspoken. Her claim to fame was being a well respected lawyer before being First Lady. She is, IMO, a better role model for girls with high hopes and dreams. This is especially true for girls who are born with a plastic spoon in their mouths; who have some substantial obstacles to overcome.

It will be a very different nation if it ever becomes truly "colorblind". I doubt I'll live to see it.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
She just ripped into whites most vehemently in her commencement speech last weekend at Tuskegee. The Obamas play the race card all the time. Very divisive.
Appears your view and words come out of the mouths of Fox News commentators.

Larry Wilmore Rips Apart Fox Haters' Attacks On Michelle Obama Commencement Speech | Crooks and Liars

I read the speech at Longford´s link and didn´t find it more than a Black history reference and enthusiastic message to graduates. There were some personal reflections that did not "... ripped into whites". I guess you should have read it yourself first before relying on Fox News to tell you what she said before posting a personal opinion.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Wonder how many here feel that racial hatred in the US (by both blacks and whites) has improved since 2008? Has it become worse? What positive steps has the current administration taken that has resulted in the people of the US "coming together" ? What steps has the administration taken that has created more divide?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I think the racial divide is worse that it was because there are a number of people that find the idea of having a black family in the White House to be intolerable, and the anger level has ratcheted up to a new high. When Obama won a second term, some marginally racist folks went from mild to ballistic. The omnipresent internet flogs and blogs feed on it. The talk shows and "some" news sources have been having a hate fest. Many listeners forget that those shows get a larger audience when they get the watchers emotionally fired up. This produces more advertising profit for the stations. Profit is GOOD.

The next election will produce a new hate object for one side or the other. As I see it, the U.S. is probably more polarized along political and religious lines than it has been in my lifetime. Changes in the economy have created a greater divide between the "haves" and the "have nots", which makes the polarization worse. Result: blood pressure medication and tranqs must be selling well these days to both sides on the issues.

Viva! to living far away in Mexico. Nothing's perfect here, but at least the physical distance from the demagogues is greater.

·
Super Moderator
8,997 Posts
. . .

Viva to living far away in Mexico. Nothing's perfect here, but at least the physical distance from the demagogues is greater.
Mexico has more than its own share of demagogues and unscrupulous politicians, along with its own variety of racial problems, don't you agree?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I find comments like yours very divisive. Let's have some quotes, please, from the speech you refer to.
You could easily find them on Google News, and most likely see her speech on YouTube. It's easy to believe something is so. Takes work to find out if it really is so.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
In reply to Isla Verde's post: I am not in denial about Mexico's problems. However, I'm not a citizen nor can I participate in the political scene here. I would rather be living away from the U.S.A., partly because of the current political climate. My preference would be the same if I had chosen to be an expat in Italy, France, or Canada.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Larry Wilmore Rips Apart Fox Haters' Attacks On Michelle Obama Commencement Speech | Crooks and Liars

I read the speech at Longford´s link and didn´t find it more than a Black history reference and enthusiastic message to graduates. There were some personal reflections that did not "... ripped into whites". I guess you should have read it yourself first before relying on Fox News to tell you what she said before posting a personal opinion.
Actually I saw excerpts from her speech on film and she lambasted race relations in America. Do you really think a White House prepared release would include that? Well? The President has also interjected himself into racial conflicts and has been wrong most of the time. We don't need leaders who further the divide but who unite us. Obama and Eric Holder have done anything but.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Having seen Ann Coulter make her remarks I can assure you she said nothing of the kind. What you and others don't seem to get is this is the start of the "silly season" before a presidential election. A lot is at stake and just about anything will be said to gin up the base on both sides. But having observed these things closely for decades I'll put my bet on the Republicans to be much more truthful. What is said on MSNBC for example is off the charts ludicrous. I know you won't agree, but the fact is that to get the Black vote that they desperately need, the White libs on MSNBC will say whatever they believe the Black electorate wants to hear. Thus even in the face of the Justice Dept clearing Officer Wilson of wrongdoing they were still saying he got away with murdering Michael Brown in Ferguson, MO. Their network was the one that altered George Zimmerman's 911 call to make him sound like a racist(admitted by them). They held up a pic of a 12 year old Trayvon Martin to make it seem like Zimmerman had murdered an innocent little boy instead of a powerfully built 17 year old who was bashing his head into the sidewalk. And the list goes on. Not to say that bad white people, cops or otherwise, don't ever do bad things, as was illustrated by the White cop in South Carolina. But the fact remains that most Black murders occur at the hands of other Blacks but you'd never know it listening to the race baiters on TV. Believing Whites are out to get them, because their leaders told them so, gets Black voters to the voting booth. Black and White Democrat leaders have been making promises for generations now but little changes. All they truly care about is getting people worked up enough to vote, and worked up people further the racial divide.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Mexico has more than its own share of demagogues and unscrupulous politicians, along with its own variety of racial problems, don't you agree?
I personally am mainly removed from it here and feel more connected to it reading about it in the USA. The emotional level is higher is what I am trying to say. I guess if I had paid the tens of thousands of dollars in taxes here like I did in the USA I might feel differently.

I also might feel differently here if I saw Mexico going down instead of up in these respects and seeing the USA going down from being much higher.

The USA has in many ways succumb to a system of propaganda and a government being bought that passes laws and policies that mainly benefit the wealthy and leave much more tax burden on the others that earn a living by working for others or having a small busines etc. Going down is not a pleasant thing to see in the USA. Going up is what I see happening in Mexico.

·
Banned
2,684 Posts
Actually I saw excerpts from her speech on film and she lambasted race relations in America. Do you really think a White House prepared release would include that?
I've read your several comments about the speech in question. I've now read the text of Ms. Obama's address at Tuskegee which appears on the White House website and which I linked earlier. And I just finished listening to the 26+ minute YouTube video recording of the same speech. My observations of your comments, the written text and the video recording:

1. The written text appearing on the White House website is, in fact, the remarks/speech spoken by the First Lady.

2. Most of what Ms. Obama said was directed to, and in reference to, the role Tuskegee, it's professors and students have played in American history and the special place that school occupies in African-American history, education, culture and accomplishment.

3. Ms. Obama's discussion of race relations as pertaining to Tuskegee were factual, not fictional and I'would not be surprised to learn that racists in the white population would be uncomfortable listening to her reminder of things which took place there or in other parts of the South those many years ago.

4. The references Ms. Obama made to how she has been, and by some in the white community is still, portrayed or criticized during the first Presidential campaign of the President were, IMO, not incitful but, rather, sincere remarks from someone who experienced those things and she used those references as a teaching opportunity before the students and others gathered... urging them to follow their dreams and not to be thrown off course by personal attacks ar setbacks.

5. Ms. Obama's expressed faith in God, her stated priority being that of a devoted Mother and wife, and her optimism that all people could and should work together to overcome obstacles to a better life are virtues most people I know consider bedrock in the USA.

6. Finally, I'm left with the clear impression you know nothing about which you've been complaining. You have been making false allegations more than you've been expressing opinions. I don't think you've read the First Lady's speech nor listened to it in its entirety on You Tube. It seems to me you've been parroting anti-Obama rhetoric from America-haters.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.