Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Hoping I can gain some clarity here since the consulate wont give me any information.

I submitted an application to renew my us passport and change to my married name in may--lets say last week in may because i initially submitted the incorrect payment and it was placed on hold.

I still do not have my passport. and it is now mid july.

I have emailed the US consulate several times over the past 2 months, and each time im told it is still being processed. Recently they informed me that passport processing is having issues, and that most cases should be resolved, apart from some isolated cases.

Anyone have any idea what could be taking so long? I have several pending issues.

1. I need to travel soon--they told me i could get limited validity passport..how long does this last? for the duration of the trip?

2. I need to renew my FLR (m) no later than the beginning of October. I would like to do this in person, so i need to book an appointment very soon. I cant remember if i need a passport to book the appointment online. if I do, then im screwed. And I would hate to loose availability to go in person which would cause me to miss miss my deadline and overstay.

3. I have a pending job offer--for which i don't have a passport to submit for validation...

Anyone have any ideas how i should handle this? Not having a passport is really creating a huge problem.

·
Super Moderator
18,071 Posts
In general, I think passports are processed in about 4 weeks, but there were some technology problems with all US Embassies in June and I believe they have only recently been resolved so I Imagine there is a backlog.

If you get an Emergency passport I think it is valid for just that trip.

You can renew FLR (M) no more than 28 days before expiry and in person appointments become available 6 weeks in advance so you still have some time.

As for your job. Don't you have a BRP? That is what has your visa details and confirms your right to work. Do you have a UK driver's licence? That could prove your identity.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Nyclon.

I do have BRP, but most places have asked for my passport. Im guessing it should be enough? And I only have a provisional UK License.

Im glad i have time to book the appointment, but it is worrying to me when they said 'some isolated cases' and i really cant understand what that could mean.

Once i do get my passport, Ill need to replace my BRP, correct? can i just wait until my appointment in October? Also, can I travel and re-enter the UK with my existing BRP and limited validity passport--which would have a different surname than my BRP? What step should i take to ensure there wont be an issues coming back into the UK?
Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.